Windows 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
I upgraded for free from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The computer booted up much quicker and the majority of my software worked fine after the upgrade except for a couple of problems.

I use Photoshop Elements v10 which I couldn't get to open. I read on the net that it may be worth reloading the software so I deleted the existing programme then found Windows 10 didn't recognise the DVD drive. I tried various fixes but none of them worked so bought a cheap external DVD drive with USB connection and reloaded Photoshop. It opened fine but then prompted me to download an app Direct Drive and it now works fine.

I still can't get the computer to read anything in the DVD drive in the PC. Anybody else had this problem?

Regards Keith

I'd be interested to hear any feedback on Windows 10. I don't know whether to download it or not??

Sounds like you need the driver for your DVD drive. Try looking at it to see if there are any part numbers then try Googling for the driver.

I changed from 7 to 10 just to find out that the sage accounts package that I have won't work with 10 so have reverted to 7, now every time I switch it on I get the up grade option, wish I never started now, what I now understand is 10 is a fix for 8 not an up grade for 7.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 and had the DVD issue but it's not a driver problem.
The fix is well documented online, you have to amend the Registry and you'll find the coding with the instructions.
Quite easy to do and my machine is working fine with all my existing software functioning.

Rod

In respone to the second reply about W10, see my problem in the "which laptop" thread. Beginning to regret "upgrading" - there's a nice weasel-word for you.

Additional problem that my IT support (son-in-law) is currently sunning himself in a boat off Alicante :(

Harbo":7yh9otci said:
I upgraded from 7 to 10 and had the DVD issue but it's not a driver problem.
The fix is well documented online, you have to amend the Registry and you'll find the coding with the instructions.
Quite easy to do and my machine is working fine with all my existing software functioning.

Rod
Thanks Rod, I've seen the fix on-line but was reluctant to do it until I'd found somebody who had tried it.

I just wonder why Microsoft don't do the fix themselves in the software :roll:

I also use Quo mapping http://www.mapyx.com/quo and that doesn't work with Windows 10 but Quo issue a compatibility mode in either Windows 7 or 8.1 until they get it to work with Windows 10.

Although Windows 10 has made things a lot quicker, in hindsight I wished I'd delayed upgrading until 2016 just before the free offer ran out #-o

Regards Keith

I've gone to Windows 10 - its good enough - except I can't get the internal mic to work - so I can't skype.
Tried updating all drivers etc , it just doesn't make a difference - well documented on the web but the solution doesn't work for me.

My wife's laptop mic works just fine with Windows 10.

Beginning to lose the will to live trying to sort it out

Brian

phil.p":3kcqr2vm said:
Something in my psyche prevents me from taking up any offer "for free". :) Free ... maybe ... for free, no.

Me too Phil. I think they are just looking for Guinea pigs to iron out their glitches. Think I'll give it a miss.

I did the "upgrade "to W10 and everything is working fine on my laptop but Im not Skypeing or doing accounts with it, like I say though its alright for me..

Chris

I had to buy a new laptop as my wife tipped wine over our old one that worked great.
We bought one with windows 10 already installed.
After just one week the software had so many errors that it has stopped working altogether even won't allow us to delete or format and reinstall the software.
it's just an expensive desktop paperweight at the moment until we can figure out what is wrong.
Tim

tinytim1458":qpph3m4h said:
I had to buy a new laptop as my wife tipped wine over our old one that worked great.
We bought one with windows 10 already installed.
After just one week the software had so many errors that it has stopped working altogether even won't allow us to delete or format and reinstall the software.
it's just an expensive desktop paperweight at the moment until we can figure out what is wrong.
Tim

Once upon a time,computers used to come with a disk.You could always re-install or repair a faulty installation.Not any more.That is if you limit yourself to planet Microsoft.
tux.png

worn thumbs":9ecw0i8p said:
Once upon a time,computers used to come with a disk.You could always re-install or repair a faulty installation.Not any more.That is if you limit yourself to planet Microsoft.
tux.png

I was able to burn re-install or repair disc when I installed win 8.

Is it not available in 10.?

artie":16azzv4k said:
worn thumbs":16azzv4k said:
tux.png

I wouldn't know,I gave up on Microsoft after I loaded Linux onto my Windows 7 laptop (which came with no disc) and can't see any reason to go back.

worn thumbs":1b7qeiky said:
artie":1b7qeiky said:
worn thumbs":1b7qeiky said:
tux.png

I wouldn't know,I gave up on Microsoft after I loaded Linux onto my Windows 7 laptop (which came with no disc) and can't see any reason to go back.

You stated in your post "not any more" that was why I asked.

I moved to Linux mint a few months ago and can get by quite happily about 99 or more % of the time.

I still need windows occasionally to upgrade phone, camera, sat nav etc.

Do you know if it's possible to disable the frequent password request, it's about the only thing in linux that bugs me.

artie":1ar8cb29 said:
Do you know if it's possible to disable the frequent password request, it's about the only thing in linux that bugs me.

Firstly this isn't a Linux thing, not all Linux distros force you to sign on as a user who doesn't have root privileges. Mint does though. In order to prevent you or processes doing things they shouldn't files and processes have owners and permissions granted to other users (or groups). A user with root privileges can do anything. Thus if your normally logged on as a user with root privileges, the OS would permit you to do anything. ANYTHING, it wouldn't prompt you, it wouldn't ask "Are you sure ?" if you attempted to delete a file that was vital to the working of the system or attempted to kill an important process. Now imagine if you inadvertently installed some malware. It would run under the same user as you, one with root privileges, it would able to install programs, delete files etc etc and the OS wouldn't stop it because it's got root privileges. In summary the prompting is a way of getting you to tell the OS that it's OK for it to allow something to happen. It stops you screwing things up and it helps stop malware damaging your system and stealing your information

When do you get these password prompts ? Is it when you attempt to edit a file ? delete a file ? create a file ? Install a program ?

Maybe some of your files have the wrong permissions, this can probably be fixed but we'd need to know more. A thread on Windows 10 isn't the right place to discuss it though.

RogerP":1tnitdlv said:
I use Ubuntu and Mint is a fork off that so should be quite similar - password request when?
Would this help? http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/916

I don't use MS at all and haven't for years.

mseries":1tnitdlv said:
Firstly this isn't a Linux thing, not all Linux distros force you to sign on as a user who doesn't have root privileges. Mint does though. In order to prevent you or processes doing things they shouldn't files and processes have owners and permissions granted to other users (or groups). A user with root privileges can do anything. Thus if your normally logged on as a user with root privileges, the OS would permit you to do anything. ANYTHING, it wouldn't prompt you, it wouldn't ask "Are you sure ?" if you attempted to delete a file that was vital to the working of the system or attempted to kill an important process. Now imagine if you inadvertently installed some malware. It would run under the same user as you, one with root privileges, it would able to install programs, delete files etc etc and the OS wouldn't stop it because it's got root privileges. In summary the prompting is a way of getting you to tell the OS that it's OK for it to allow something to happen. It stops you screwing things up and it helps stop malware damaging your system and stealing your information

When do you get these password prompts ? Is it when you attempt to edit a file ? delete a file ? create a file ? Install a program ?

Maybe some of your files have the wrong permissions, this can probably be fixed but we'd need to know more. A thread on Windows 10 isn't the right place to discuss it though.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back