Window trim

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had some fixed wood frame windows replaced with UPVC casement. Unfortunately to fill the gap Vs the wooden cill/boxing, the installers have fitted plastic trim.

It's been less than a month and after dropping a tool on said trim it's cracked as I notice they used nothing underneath to fill the gap.

Would replacing all the plastic trim with wood look ok or am I realistically looking at replacing the entire window boxing?

20220304_100938.jpg

On our previous house we had powder coated aluminium windows fitted on the front, which included three bay windows. I asked for no trim or widow ledges. I fitted hardwood ledges and a top piece of trim to take fixings for blinds. I then built up the surrounds and mouldings in profiles I machined up from MR MDF. I was told this transformed the windows.

Colin

I hate how plastic window firms just stick bits of plastic over the gaps to cover them up.

Is there a wooden lining all the way around the inside of the window? Sometimes you can cover the whole lining (and the gap) with thin MDF/ply and it doesn't look out of place (apart from the window board might need a bullnose adding).

I'd take them off and check they've actually sealed the window frame in properly. You may well find that there's a gap all round the frame with a line of mastic outside! Personally I'd fit a new sill and surround.

I would remove sill and replace or fill gap with timber and then fix thin marine ply on top. It would get rid of the ridge on the windows sill as well. Is it just the bottom or is there plastic all around.

On our previous house we had powder coated aluminium windows fitted on the front, which included three bay windows. I asked for no trim or widow ledges. I fitted hardwood ledges and a top piece of trim to take fixings for blinds. I then built up the surrounds and mouldings in profiles I machined up from MR MDF. I was told this transformed the windows.

Colin
That sounds great, do you have any pics?

I would remove sill and replace or fill gap with timber and then fix thin marine ply on top. It would get rid of the ridge on the windows sill as well. Is it just the bottom or is there plastic all around.
It's plastic all around so I'm thinking removing all plastic, keep wooden frame, then essentially replace plastic with MDF and moulding to make a feature of it but also give it strength

I hate how plastic window firms just stick bits of plastic over the gaps to cover them up.

Is there a wooden lining all the way around the inside of the window? Sometimes you can cover the whole lining (and the gap) with thin MDF/ply and it doesn't look out of place (apart from the window board might need a bullnose adding).
Yes this is what there is. The options seem like cover whole lining and gap to try and blend in or have it just covering the gap and make a feature of it

I'd take them off and check they've actually sealed the window frame in properly. You may well find that there's a gap all round the frame with a line of mastic outside! Personally I'd fit a new sill and surround.
You're right there in that I know there is already a gap around the frame between it and the wall surround but I've been working on filling with insulation and low movement expanding foam which has done the job on the windows treated so far. It seems paying the higher quote is not a sure fire recipe for success...🤦🏻‍♂️

Id call them back if they didnt even bother to foam them. Plastic windows arent rocket science.
Unfortunately they bash them out fast and run away

Sorry no picks. I looked at our sale photos but they are not clear. Rip the plastic trim off. If you can see any large voids where you can fit wooden blocks then do so as they may aid fixing. Fill other voids with expanding foam. Fit your new linings and trim of MR MDF, fixing wit No Nails or similar and a few pins. You may find the expanding foam does a good job of fixing your trim but I would advise some bracing sticks as it will push your trim out of place.

Colin

You're right there in that I know there is already a gap around the frame between it and the wall surround but I've been working on filling with insulation and low movement expanding foam which has done the job on the windows treated so far. It seems paying the higher quote is not a sure fire recipe for success...🤦🏻‍♂️
I'm not surprised, I've seen an install where the internal trim turned black over the winter, removing it showed no foam fill and an open cavity so the trim was cold and covered in condensation all the time. This was from a company selling supposedly triple A rate windows, fitted to a triple Z standard....

Mine are old windows apart from a new patio door which I finished off the surround so I know its done right. I had MDF fitted originally as sills as it was cheap but had to replace due to condensation from windows swelling them after time. There was insulation but none under the sill. I replaced the sills using marine ply which so far is perfect. The other interior surrounds are plasterboard but covered in thin tonque and groove which I nailed and spot glued to the plasterboard then finished off the surround with thin facing to cover the exposed edges.

Using trims like that is, in my opinion a a sign of absolute cowboys. It has never looked good.
They should have changed the window boards but this would involve actual work so they just glue a bit of plastic over the gaping hole.
They should have at least filled it with foam or something.
Ridiculous.

Ollie

Thanks for all the replies.
Definitely much clearer in my mind what to do as a fix. Step 1 I'm going to add more foam and insulation between the brick wall and window box/frame. After the room has been plastered ie the muck out the way, then step 2, I will rip out the plastic trim and replace with either MR MDF or marine ply (ensuring supported underneath sufficiently).

As an aside, I'm finding in this renovation experience the cowboy ratio is worse than the last property I did 10 years ago. Thankfully doing most of the work myself as every time I get a "professional" in I'm left disappointed.

I try to do as much as myself as well for exactly that reason. Once its covered up you have no idea. Not so bad if you are about when the work is being done so you can keep an eye on the job.

Definitely. Edging closer to just being me, myself and the table saw. Relishing just doing woodwork every day and turning the house into a home.

Thought I would just update as finally got around to boarding the windows in one of the rooms. Ended up using 9mm ply for the lining, 8mm decorative trim for the lip and 75mm architrave around the window.

Overall it's fine, better than the plastic trim that's for sure. I think doing it again I would go for the 12mm ply for a combination of strength on the lower panel (where people will place items) and because on one of the windows it comes ever so slightly shy of the top of window itself but within caulking distance.

20220810_133702.jpg
20220810_155924.jpg

Latest posts

Back