Window seat hinged lid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starjump

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Which hinges and lid stay would people suggest please for a window seat? It will have a fairly heavy lid about 1300 wide and 600 - 650 deep. The seat height is going to be about 545 with about 4" of cushing on top. There is brass in the room ie curtain pole, so hoping for brass coloured to match. I thought I'd use birch ply for the lid. Design is yet to be finalised. I am thinking of MRMDF for the box and front. I had thought of a good quality piano hinge but have no idea regarding the stay, wish to do a good job. Any help is gratefully received, thank you.

I have found youtube a great recource especially 'Gid Joiner' and 'Peter Millard'.

What do you want the stay to do? Hold it open no matter what, yield when pushed hard, yield when lifted up to allow it to close?

There’s plenty of options, my preference would be gas struts, you can gang them up to get the force you want (using cheap ones), or get a specific force one and then you have a nice soft open and close that oozes quality

Aidan

Thanks Aidan. I am making the seat for someone else and user safety is my main concern. I wouldn't want my lack of knowledge being responsible for an injury to a child for example. And so if furniture gas struts are as good a controlling measure as they are on a heavy tailgate, I'm sold! (I changed struts on my Hiace van tailgate once, wow that was heavy)!

Gas struts are good but require a space to operate and you still need hinges too so more components.
I have used a type of damping hinges before, they work like the hinges on a laptop and allow support in any position.
I think they were called torque hinges ( japanese if I remember rightly )

Ollie

Those torque hinges look good too, thank you for pointing them out - I will interweb search and ponder. Thank you all again!

Using sheet materials for the lid is ok as long as you design around it, Personally I would glue a reinforcing piece of wood tongued into the plywood which will take the screws, screwing into the edge of plywood is never a good idea. Ian
Edit, The two hinges on that keyboard box in the post above this are hopeless, screwed into the edge of that sheet material like that, they will definitely fail, and he professes to tell us how to do things!

Last edited:
Back