window regulations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_joiner

Reaction score
I am a recently self-employed joiner in cambs in the process of setting up my workshop. I didn't know that there were so many regulations for installing new windows. I already have a couple of window jobs lined up, do I need to get building control to come and check the windows? If so is this done before or after they have been fitted. I am not FENSA registered but as I plan to do a lot of windows would it be worth becoming FENSA registered?
Also does anyone know anything about business rates, how they are calculated, a rough idea of how much they are? My shop is in a old farm building and measures 11mx5m.
My first post so hopefully I've done it right.
Thanks in advance

No idea about the windows but on the rates you need to find the rateable value from the local authority to calculate them. However you will qualify for small business rate relief which at the moment is 100% so for this year you won't be paying anything. Just make sure you ask for the form to apply as a small business when you call the council...

Regards
Graham

Your best bet is to contact your local authority's building dept and ask the various questions you have. They are usually very helpful. And you'll then have the relevant information you need from the horses mouth so to speak. That way you can get everything right first time. I speak from many years making such items your planning on making & dealing with various regulative authority's.

FWIW It's only worth joining Fensa or it's equivalents if your making/installing lots of windows (and I mean lots), all of these certification companies know how to make money :roll: imho.

Boatfixer is right in his post regarding business rates, the government has extended the scheme for this year and may well take it further depending on the state of the economy, so get yourself some free rates/or reduced for a while.

FWIW make sure you inform the Tax man before you start earning as declaring afterwards invokes an automatic fine.

I've fitted quite a lot of windows and doors over the last few years though mostly PVCu and i haven't gone down the route of FENSA registration as I didn't think it worth it.
To be fair, a number of mine have been part of extentions / alterations which required approval anyway so the windows then were included.
Where just windows, I include but hightlight in my quote the cost of LA inspection lat time was around £112 whether 1 window or a houseful!ll the LA are really interested in is that the glass has a "K" inner pane and that fire escape is provided for in specific areas. There are occasions if replacing like for like, you don't need approval but various authorities have different views on this.

Bob

A

Latest posts

Back