Window glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.... but I recently made a replacement for a very rotten window in my house(didn't end up looking too bad, but my next one will be better). I now need to glaze it.
I don't think I need safety glass, as it's higher than 800mm from the floor , not near a door etc., but I wondered if it would be worth fitting anyway.
Does anyone have any idea how much extra safe glass is likely to cost?
Also, I have read that the glass tends to shrink a bit in the toughening process, is this true, and if so, by what sort of percentage?

John

John Brown":2kqzpbo0 said:
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.... but I recently made a replacement for a very rotten window in my house(didn't end up looking too bad, but my next one will be better). I now need to glaze it.
I don't think I need safety glass, as it's higher than 800mm from the floor , not near a door etc., but I wondered if it would be worth fitting anyway.
Does anyone have any idea how much extra safe glass is likely to cost?
Also, I have read that the glass tends to shrink a bit in the toughening process, is this true, and if so, by what sort of percentage?

John
It's a life style thing. Do you break windows often? If not you probably don't need safety glass.

Hi, John

Do you have small children? is it a window somone could break and gain entry?

Not sure about the shrinkage, small I would have thought.

What about laminated?

Pete

@Pete

Do you have small children?
No, the children are all over 23.
is it a window somone could break and gain entry?
Maybe, but I understood that safety glass was still breakable

John

John

If it was me I would get laminate glass. Laminate is cheaper than toughened aswell. As regards shrinkage..you must be working to very exact measurements to worry about it

Laminated for me as well... I just paid £48.00 for a piece to go in a door measuring 645 x 1235. Toughened glass shatters in to small blunt pieces and laminated glass has thin sticky plastic in between the two pains so holds it all together if a breakage occurs...

I got 2 bits of tempered glass that are about 3ft by 4.5ft and 6mm thick for about £80 I think. Can't imagine it's much for4 a normal window size. Do phone around though as I was quoted 5 times that by a few places.

Safety glass doesn't offer any security advantages, in fact it's probably easier to break than normal glass. Glassy daughter always manages to shock her trainees by showing them how simple it is to break toughened side windows on vehicles. Lot more difficult for laminated.

Back