Window detail in box profile / wall sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am considering using anthracite coloured metal sheeting for the back and sides of my garden room as they wont really be seen and this should be a maintenance free option, hurrah. There is a window in the back (for the bathroom) so I need to think about how I will finish the sheeting around the window. I am looking for a bit of advice on how best to achieve this.

I am considering using composite cladding instead (TGV type thing), if this metal sheet is too much hassle for the window stuff.

Here is a picture of a sample of the sheeting material:

metal sheet sample.jpeg

here is a dodgy CAD of the rear wall with window and sheet:

wall and window.jpg

wall and window super zoomy.jpg

There are battens along the back wall fastened onto the sheathing which will space the sheet out away from the window a bit.

I suppose I could just leave it as it is in the CAD without a frame?
That just seems a bit wrong.

any ideas?

thanks
Martin

should I be doing something like this by creating some bespoke wooden frames?:
wall and window dodgy profile frame.jpg

but that seems ridiculous
I guess I am worried about water flowing towards the building and also about it just looking a bit unfinished

I think I am being a bit dim but I just can't think how to do this

(I would prefer composite cladding but it's about twice the price so I feel I should at least make a token effort to make this work before spending more cash than I need to)

Martin

that's a cool idea, would solve the water concern I suppose but then just need to solve the 'looks like a dog's dinner' problem.

The cladding I have seen they use a profile on top of the window and then the cladding sits onto this. This profile provides closure for the cladding and directs the wet stuff outwards .

It seems designed to channel water where you don’t want it! And your idea of "bespoke wooden frames" whilst perfectly sensible – I don’t think they will survive too long. So I think the safest way apart from foam is to mount the window back into the wall so that any water that runs down drips safely away. Ian

I would make a lead flashing to go up behind the cladding and then over the top of the head drip of the window frame.

Back