Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Window detail in box profile / wall sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am considering using anthracite coloured metal sheeting for the back and sides of my garden room as they wont really be seen and this should be a maintenance free option, hurrah. There is a window in the back (for the bathroom) so I need to think about how I will finish the sheeting around the window. I am looking for a bit of advice on how best to achieve this.

I am considering using composite cladding instead (TGV type thing), if this metal sheet is too much hassle for the window stuff.

Here is a picture of a sample of the sheeting material:

metal sheet sample.jpeg

here is a dodgy CAD of the rear wall with window and sheet:

wall and window.jpg

wall and window super zoomy.jpg

There are battens along the back wall fastened onto the sheathing which will space the sheet out away from the window a bit.

I suppose I could just leave it as it is in the CAD without a frame?
That just seems a bit wrong.

any ideas?

thanks
Martin

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
should I be doing something like this by creating some bespoke wooden frames?:
wall and window dodgy profile frame.jpg

but that seems ridiculous
I guess I am worried about water flowing towards the building and also about it just looking a bit unfinished

I think I am being a bit dim but I just can't think how to do this

(I would prefer composite cladding but it's about twice the price so I feel I should at least make a token effort to make this work before spending more cash than I need to)

Martin

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
that's a cool idea, would solve the water concern I suppose but then just need to solve the 'looks like a dog's dinner' problem.

Spectric

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The cladding I have seen they use a profile on top of the window and then the cladding sits onto this. This profile provides closure for the cladding and directs the wet stuff outwards .

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems designed to channel water where you don’t want it! And your idea of "bespoke wooden frames" whilst perfectly sensible – I don’t think they will survive too long. So I think the safest way apart from foam is to mount the window back into the wall so that any water that runs down drips safely away. Ian

HOJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I would make a lead flashing to go up behind the cladding and then over the top of the head drip of the window frame.