Window Construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAZB

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info or links to sites that have the details of how to build Hardwood or Softwood windows ? I am looking to find out the actual construction methods used and the profiles involved. Thanks.

hi,
there is a book called' make your own handcrafted doors and windows'
by 'John Birchard', it's tricky to get hold of and you might need to be sitting down when you find one :shock:

TX

I am looking to find out the actual construction methods used and the profiles involved. Thanks.

All the contruction methods differ depending on what period you want to replicate. Exactly the same can be said of the moulds used, and the timber sizes.

If you want to replicate a 'genuine' Victorian sash for instance, there are a great many joints involved. No sub-standard profile and scribe!

Unfortunately it seems it is no longer legal to replace your windows to an unapproved design. Repairs are ok but new frame installations are now controlled by UK building regs. I don't want to be a kill-joy but a talk with your local authority building inspector may be a good idea. (that's before you even worry about the planners). Also the type of glass is regulated now too.

Extract from web for info:

Building regulations and replacement windows:

From 1st April 20002 replacement windows in homes will require building regulations approval. The purpose of applying regulations is to ensure adequate thermal insulation standards are maintained and levels of ventilation and escape in case of fire. Further measures to protect people from falling are included.

Repair work such as replacement glazing or replacing rotten frame members is not subject to building regulation approval.

Also exempt is when the replacement is carried out by an 'Approved Installer' who is a member of FENSA an organisation approved by the Secretary of State to monitor installers work.

regards Colin

Back