Winding sticks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
so having finally gotten my finger out and most of my hand tools sharpened, i have to start using them more frequently. that means more real wood, and less machine work. i have a small planer thicknesser,
a mafell 160 which is good and useful. but i would like to use my planes to do the finishing.
one of the things you keep hearing about is "winding sticks"
so i ask the question if you are new to this, how do you accurately produce your winding sticks.
what do you make them of, and how do you ensure that they stay flat and square enough for use in this area?
next how many people leave their plane blades extended once set and how many re-set them every time to ensure that the blade does not get accidentally nicked or damaged?

i know i should remember much of this stuff but all the other engineering information gets in the way.
thanks again.
paul :lol: 8)

Hi Paul,

A Winding Sticks search should help get you started.

I leave my planes' blades adjusted. I store them in drawers that are lined with an extra thick felt, which keep the blades from getting nicked or dulled.

The couple scraper planes I own I retract their blades as they sit on a shelf in my tool cabinet and I never got around to lining those shelves with the felt.

Mike

Paul I adopt a similar method to Mike, My Planes sit in a draw with 1inch of foam in the base, this is lightly sprayed with oil.

Cushions the blades and helps keep any workshop moisture from the soles.

engineer one":1rel4nub said:
so i ask the question if you are new to this, how do you accurately produce your winding sticks.
what do you make them of, and how do you ensure that they stay flat and square enough for use in this area?
Buy a length of aluminium angle, cut it in half, spray one piece black and the other white.
Or buy two cheap spirit levels.
Or wait for Rob to bring out the winding sticks some folks convinced him were needed. :roll:
The first two solutions are both endorsed by real galoots, so they must be okay. :-s

engineer one":1rel4nub said:
next how many people leave their plane blades extended once set and how many re-set them every time to ensure that the blade does not get accidentally nicked or damaged?
I leave 'em however they happen to be. Most live in socks these days, so they're sufficiently well protected from the slings and arrows.

Chaps (not just Frank), it'd really help if you'd get into the idea of starting new threads for new subjects. Finding this lot in the archives in a year's time is going to be a 'mare. #-o

Cheers, Alf

I used to elevate the toe of my planes with a thin scrap of wood -- i liked the idea of air movement around the iron.

In my new plane rack, the soles sit on cork "beds."

Hmmmm,
Isn't this thread about winding sticks?
I'm on parole so I'll start another thread, I wouldn't mind seeing examples of other people's racks.

Paul

I made mine about 18 months ago. Hand planed some Mahogany that had lay in the garage for quiet a while and routed a slot in the rear one to allow a full length loose tenon to give good contrast against the white inlay when in use - same as David Charlesworth

in 18 months, they have not 'moved' at all and see plenty of use

Mcluma":hhh25vea said:
Do you have a picture of your plane rack, so i could maybe borrow some design ideas :wink:
McLuma

My plane rack's not as fancy as some. I just wanted something that was quick to build that would give some organization to my small hand tools. I just built the chisel rack this evening.

plane_rack.jpg

look i am sorry if i ask too many questions but all my learning was in the dark ages when accountants did not rule the world.

interesting how many people keep their LN boxes on display, is this reverse snobbery?
seems to me that keeping a bit of air below the sole is a good idea, not least because it stops you removing all the wax/grease or whatever you use as a lubricant.

anyay back to winding sticks.
why has no one suggested lengths of mdf ripped?? what's wrong with that idea??? or ply come to that? i realise that now with LN and LV our tools are becoming works of art, but the jigs too??

maybe the green mdf, or marine ply offies
paul :wink:

I have three main planes a 15" wooden, a 20 year old ECE smoother and a knight smoother all who spend there life on there side to the right of me when there not in use. Which is daily. I would lose them if I put them away. I'd forget what I did with them!!

engineer one":311ih60g said:
interesting how many people keep their LN boxes on display, is this reverse snobbery?

I use the boxes for storage of small stuff on my shelves because they're just the right size. And, I admit, as much as the planes cost, I'm gonna show off anything they came with. :)

engineer one":311ih60g said:
anyay back to winding sticks.
why has no one suggested lengths of mdf ripped?? what's wrong with that idea??? or ply come to that?
maybe the green mdf, or marine ply offies
paul :wink:

MDF doesn't have the stiffness or durability to be used for winding sticks. Ply isn't straight or stable enough. I'm gonna make mine out of aluminum angle stock.

good answers to both queries and quick too
a woodworker quick??? a non sequitur surely??

alf where did you move my quest for wood??
paul :?

engineer one":2srjdejb said:
look i am sorry if i ask too many questions but all my learning was in the dark ages when accountants did not rule the world.
Lots of questions are great. Lots of questions on differing subjects all crammed into one thread just make finding the answers later more difficult. As one of the people who uses the archive on an almost daily basis to answer questions later, I find it more irritating than most.

engineer one":2srjdejb said:
alf where did you move my quest for wood??
As Dave says, General Woodworking where it'll get more answers. Here I am breaking my own rule and leaving the shadow topic on this board so you could find it again and you didn't click on it. ](*,) :lol:

<small moan>The housekeeping has been taking far too long lately, chaps; the other mods pretty much leave me to it in here so I have to tidy up after you lot all alone. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Ta muchly. </small moan>

Cheers, Alf

Back