Wind turbine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PV = Photo Voltaic (solar panels to create electrons rather than heat up water)

Yes it’s strange isn’t it I always think it looks like a children’s toy, perhaps it’s the colours I don’t know.
It’s disconcerting when I open my door and wallop there it is in your face ha ha

I mean it's an improvement on what it could have been, until they divested their Oilfields and went all in for wind, "Ørstead" used to be "DONG Energy"...

Imagine looking out to window to see a boat painted like a fisher-price toy with that written down the side in 15ft high letters!

If you can put a small turbine on a youtube channel and get ad revenue, you might be able to make it make some sense. I have a relative (well, deceased last year) who started off with a 10kw simple turbine on a 90 foot tower all the way back in the late 1970s. It was bigger and built better than almost anything made now. It had three states:
1) working
2) no wind
3) broken

Unfortunately, state 1 wasn't the majority of the time. He put it on a 90 foot tower for obvious reasons - the higher the tower, the better the wind.

I can't imagine that there are any turbines now that make any sense compared to inexpensive solar panels where the user sets up the panels. Saw a video on youtube of a guy here in the states who set up a 9kw array for $8700 (he had a farm and installed the array on a ground-level frame - the only thing he hired done was wiring the system into the grid). When it was sunny, it made close to its rating. On average, I think he showed it making about 30kw/hr a day, which is not insignificant. If my relative's wind turbine ever made 30kw/hr in one day, it probably was broken the next.

There are just too many variables with wind. As in, what's the rated turbine wind speed? 25 kph? At half the speed, it will make a quarter of the electricity, but it will look like it's doing more.

I think wind turbines other than as off grid power on boats, etc, are another example of the something for nothing gimmick on youtube, but far less user friendly than solar panels (noise, flashing light, oscillation, breakage).

This is a comment about small turbines that an individual would use - the big commercial ones are viable here in the states, but they are installed only in places that have steady wind.

Back