Wilson vice identification/info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crack The Sky

Reaction score
Hi all!
Im Mark, i am wondering if anybody can help me with information on a wilson style vice please?

I buy and sell vices and I've never had one of these myself but i have seen them. I don't know much about them but they seem to be for fine metalwork and jewellery?
I will attach some pictures to help.
Im sure it says wilson on it and most that I've seen are kind of right handed? This one, the jaws are more to the left?
Lastly the nut for the main screw is made of brass.

Thanks for any help 😊
IMG_20200820_122849.jpgIMG_20200820_124712.jpgIMG_20200820_124714.jpgIMG_20200820_124720.jpgIMG_20200820_124725.jpgIMG_20200820_124728.jpgIMG_20200820_130252.jpg

welcome. that is a nice vice. not seen one like that before. One of the more knowledgeable metal bashers will be along shortly more than likely and should be able to help. do you know what the wiggly bits at the back are for?

I think Tfrench had a similar vice not long ago although I don't think it was identical.

do you know what the wiggly bits at the back are for?

I think you spin the doo-hickey around and it'll hold odd shapes that match the wibbly-wobbly parts

This is also pretty easy to dismantle, i can dismantle a rusty record woodworking vice in about 10 minutes bar any unforseen damaged parts. I wasn't looking forward to taking this apart but is very simple surpriseingly haha

That one looks identical to the one Tfrench had: Mystery vice

Oo it does!
Mines different and i cant find any at all anywhere that have the jaw the same side as mine but I'm slowly getting there 😊 maybe I'll post on some US fourms, and im already apart of the Canadian woodworking fourm so i might do a post there, they might have more details.

Maybe it'll sell better in america, they love british stuff, i recently sold a vintage Record 52 1/2 to an american for £236, a vice that i might get £70 for in the UK on a good day haha.

I know the "Dohm" vise was made in several different sizes, the biggest had 6 inch jaws. (Though I think that may have been an overall measurment.) Also sold under different names.
I have seen a patent number for Dohm, I wonder if yours is an early prototype, or a later "knock off", certainly similar.

Bod

I know the "Dohm" vise was made in several different sizes, the biggest had 6 inch jaws. (Though I think that may have been an overall measurment.) Also sold under different names.
I have seen a patent number for Dohm, I wonder if yours is an early prototype, or a later "knock off", certainly similar.

Bod
I think ill take some measurements and have a good look for any more identification numbers or anything, maybe i missed somethinf

I've a strange vise that allows for strange shape grippage! (For want of a better term!)

The bit closest is on a steel swivel so that it can be turned for different shapes, The vise is aluminium, It says 'D-Vice' on it and Made in England!
u9Osvbf.jpg

PSGaMA6.jpg

It's a strange thing being very lightweight ally!!

John (y)

I've got a set of "soft jaws" for a normal vise, that are remarkably similar.
Ability to grip in allsorts of ways, and the swiveling end piece, biggest difference is mine are bright yellow!

Bod

Back