Wilson Hawksworth & Ellison Co. Sheffield.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boringgeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
G'day,
I recently purchased this nice little 7" brace from the USA. It's branded Wilson Hawksworth & Ellison Co. Sheffield with quite prominent padlock trademark. Also C & M 85 is more heavily punched into it.
I wondered if the C&M may have something to do with their address at Carlisle Works, Sheffield.
There are a couple of references to this company on this forum:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/.../anothe ... awksworth- t86927.html
(In preview the above link doesn't seem to want to work)
and here: badger-hospital-t65580.html
And I also found this: http://strazors.com/uploads/images/articles/kayser.pdf
Any additional information that you might have will be welcome.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• Wilson, Hawksworth & Ellison 001.png
    Wilson, Hawksworth & Ellison 001.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 551
  • Wilson, Hawksworth & Ellison 003.png
    Wilson, Hawksworth & Ellison 003.png
    327 KB · Views: 551
  • Wilson, Hawksworth & Ellison 002.png
    Wilson, Hawksworth & Ellison 002.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 551
Dredging the memory a bit - but I'm pretty sure I've seen one of that pattern illustrated in one of the old catalogues. Problem is, I can't remember which one, and can't find it, but I'll keep looking.

From memory, it's a surgeon's trepanning brace (don't ask!) of a pattern made before the introduction of stainless steel. Late 19th century or thereabouts.

Can anyone confirm or correct?

Yes appears as a Gasfitters brace, Buck & Hickman 1935 no manufacturer given though. The links in my original post seem to lean towards a time line of 1856 - 1887.
Initially I thought it a bit large for a surgeons brace but in comparison not that big a difference really.
Unfortunately I don't have any Trepanning bits to go with my brace otherwise I could do a bit of skull-duggery in my spare time.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• Skull-duggery 001.png
    Skull-duggery 001.png
    355.9 KB · Views: 360

Latest posts

Back