Willow trunk...might try making a bowl or two

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hello folks
I spotted this willow trunk yesterday whilst out for a walk, and thought it might be good for some turning practice.
I was thinking of making a big chunky bowl or two.

Now, I've been studying cabinetmaking and such, and nothing else really so I'm wondering what the best way to go about
getting a bowl from this trunk.
I have got a electric chainsaw, and a very large bandsaw that I don't really want to cut wet timber on, but may have to.

I'm not planning to make a show piece, and don't care if it splits
I'm looking for functionality more than anything else

So what way should I cut this up...
I might take a guess this is like a sharpening thread

I like the shape of hand hewed bowls made from split timber, with the concave side towards the bark
as it creates an elegant profiled top.

Is this willow it worth it, to try ?
I think, maybe it is the type with the sally rods, not goat willow, judging from the new green shoot..
I could not get an I.D from the wee leaf though.

If it was say an ash, oak or beech trunk, I would be keener to plank it up...
So, If this willow is no good, what would be a good choice for me ?....

Hawthorn's and blackthorn's probably ...unfortunately I don't see many cut down.
And I'm not keen on yew due to toxicity, and not interested in soft softwoods.

What about the forks in those domestic trees I mentioned ...ash, oak, and beech?
I guess I should be keeping an eye out for those instead of dragging sponges home :roll:

Keen to find out what you guys think about it
Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• SAM_2293.JPG
    SAM_2293.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 668
  • SAM_2291.JPG
    SAM_2291.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 668
  • SAM_2290.JPG
    SAM_2290.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 668
I think the fact that it was left lying around for you to "find" is a good indicator for starters.
Just a personal view of willow, but I've never had any resultant output that's worth taking out of the shed.
I believe others have had success with samples and ended up with acceptable pieces.
Samples I've had have tended to be a soft wooly texture, I suspect growing location has a profound influence.

For handling starters split it down lengthways through the core.

Back