William Kendall?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Lawton

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I saw a post earlier with a tag line saying they were researching Kendall planemakers of York. I'm a turner so can only think it was here.
I am York born and bred so asked a local facebook history group if they'd heard of them.
There are 36 planemakers listed in York cemetery apparently! William Kendal (with one L) was a plane maker and registered as a freeman in 1807. There is a Richard Kendall (Two L's) born 1805 to William and Dorothy died 1865 aged 60 and buried in York with no memorial. Hope this of help to whoever it was?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I saw a post earlier with a tag line saying they were researching Kendall planemakers of York. I'm a turner so can only think it was here.
I am York born and bred so asked a local facebook history group if they'd heard of them.
There are 36 planemakers listed in York cemetery apparently! William Kendal (with one L) was a plane maker and registered as a freeman in 1807. There is a Richard Kendall (Two L's) born 1805 to William and Dorothy died 1865 aged 60 and buried in York with no memorial. Hope this of help to whoever it was?

Thank you Neil, so good of you to ask and forward this information.
I'm going to cross reference those dates and see if they match.
As for 36 being buried, it doesn't surprise me as of its time York was the largest centre for the planemaking industry in the country.
Did anyone offer up a list of the 36 as it would be an interesting bit of information to cross reference with our lists of known makers ?
Regards Andy

@Trevanion cheers

Neil, your William Kendal may be a different man as I believe mine (2L`s) was born 1764 died 1840.
Also my Richard has a born date of 1803.
Cheers Andy

Thank you Neil, so good of you to ask and forward this information.
I'm going to cross reference those dates and see if they match.
As for 36 being buried, it doesn't surprise me as of its time York was the largest centre for the planemaking industry in the country.
Did anyone offer up a list of the 36 as it would be an interesting bit of information to cross reference with our lists of known makers ?
Regards Andy

@Trevanion cheers
There was a list of burials. I use facebook on a notebook rather than my failing laptop but I'll see if I can copy!

The are are none in the Freemen's registers but several in the burial registers. William FERRAND Bishophill; William FOSTER Bishophill; John GREEN Micklegate; William KENDALL St Sampsons; John MARSH Davygate; Samuel MIDDLETON Coppergate; John SNELL Bishophill; Michael VARVILL ; Joseph WINN Acomb; Ralph BARKER Coppergate; William DIBB Bilton in Ainsty.

Latest posts

Back