Will we ever :-

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
see trees like this again ?

How long would this have taken to grow :shock:

And by the looks of it , cut by hand , HOW big is that saw :shock: :shock:

slideshowcurrent.jpg

Blister":12m02h8a said:
see trees like this again ?

How long would this have taken to grow :shock:

And by the looks of it , cut by hand , HOW big is that saw :shock: :shock:

slideshowcurrent.jpg

That's one hell of a tree ! I wonder how how long that took to fell ?

Perhaps they used axe's to fell this mighty specimen and sanded it smooth just to fool us into thinking they used a saw!!

Just a thought.

Stew

I wouldn't fancy a back hander from the man that cut that down. Talk about muscles on muscles!

I just admire his ability to saw straight. Imagine 8' in hmm I think this cut looks a little pineappled :D

Would I be right in guessing that the picture is from the USA? There was a glorious period in the 19th century when US timber looked like an inexhaustible reserve - so they set to cutting it down with ever increasing speed and capacity.

The really impressive part is the the conversion and movement of trees on that scale without diesel engines and hydraulic machinery - but to put it in its context I was reading the other day that the tie beams in the tower of Salisbury cathedral are 4' thick and 80' long - all cut, dressed and lifted into place in the early years of the 14th century.

Back