Will tools and materials deteriorate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krismusic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have to move out of the workshop that I have been using for 33 yrs. :-({|= I hope eventually to have another workshop but in the meantime have a lot of stuff that I need to store. I am lucky enough to have the rental of a lock up garage but have only ever used it for storing stuff that I am not too bothered about.
My question is this; will power tools, hand tools and fixiongs and fittings deteriorate if kept for a long time in a lock up? AFAIK it is basically dry but the air quality inside is basically the same as outside. Any advice much appreciated. (hammer)

deserter":19m8yx77 said:
I'd pack Silica gel packets around anything metal to prevent rust forming from the moisture.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Would it be a good a idea to give everything a coating of oil and wrap it in cloth like people used to do with swords centuries ago?

The silica gel is a good call.

Condensation and moisture will be the biggest problem.
Can you provide any sort of heating on there especially during Winter.
You can coat metal surfaces with oil, wax etc but not possible with the electrical gear?

Rod

Harbo":1b6hjyr5 said:
Condensation and moisture will be the biggest problem.
Can you provide any sort of heating on there especially during Winter.
You can coat metal surfaces with oil, wax etc but not possible with the electrical gear?

Rod

Could seal the power tools in one of those plastic boxes with lids - duct tape or similar the seals down and put some of those silica bags\thingies in there as well.

Dibs

Swmbo uses a plastic bag vacuum sealer on bacon. I suppose something like that could work well on smaller metal parts. In fact, thinking about it, that system would likely handle my Makita 1/2" router.
xy

Hmmm. Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of treating my tools like swords! :twisted:
Basically if it is likely to require fairly extreme measures to stop my tools deterioraHmting I don't think I wl put em in there in the first place. :| some of those ideas could be very practical for fixing and fittings though. Maybe cool boxes as they seal... Thank you very much for your thoughts. K :eek:ccasion5:

I'm not sure about power tools, but for hand tools like planes and chisels, I'd strip them to their component parts and give each bit a coat of Vaseline and then re-assemble - Rob

I have been in a similar situation and had to store my tools in an unheated garage over the winter. It's not advisable. I had to constantly check on rust and keep oiling everything. In hindsight I should have rolled a heater in and kept it warm but was worried about the electricity bill. The hours I wasted keeping things oiled and rust free cost more than electricity would have.

If you want things pristine, don't store them in an unheated environment where the temperatur will fluctuate.

Paul.

That's pretty much what I figured. I am wondering whether there is any future in trying to insulate the lock up. There is no electric so heating is not really an option.

The problem with heating a 'shop is that you need consistent heating. I didn't have a problem with rust (and this is with a humidity of 75% - 85% sometimes), until I started to light a pot bellied stove some evenings - it's dramatic temperature swings that cause the problems, not the actual heat or coldness.

My workshop is an unheated barn with a tin roof that leaks in places. It is too big a space to sensibly heat, and the temperature flucuates wildly so rust and other problems are potentially a huge problem. I keep my powertools in large rectangular plastic tubs that sheep lick comes in. I am lucky enough to live in a rural area where the local farmers are happy to give the empty ones away if asked nicely. These tubs are big enough to take a powertool and it's accessories, have a lids that seal really well and I've had no problems with things rusting inside.

I keep smaller items in plastic food tubs (the sort you use in the freezer) and anything critical gets the addition of an anti-corrosion card. These can be bought quite cheaply in gun and sporting shops and are basically bits of cardboard impregnated with a compound that releases a protective vapour inside your sealed container and prevents metal objects inside from corroding. You can also get anti-corrosion paper which you wrap metal items in to similar effect. Larger machines, such as lathes & pillar drill have exposed parts regularly oiled.

I'd say that if you pack your powertools in well sealed plastic containers (the big platic crates from DIY stores do not have lids that seal well enough - you need to make the containers almost airtight) and use some form of anti-corrosion protection, or silica gel inside the containers, you should be okay in a lock-up garage. I'd pack the tools away in their containers on a nice dry day with low humidity as well.

Thanks for the replies. This is a very helpful and active forum. 8) Thanks to Kym especially. Some very useful tips there. Thank you. :eek:ccasion5:
I am still thinking of building a large insulated box inside the lock up.
Would I want to keep a through flow of air or seal it up? Kris

Hi My mother uses these large plastic package type things about 60cm x 80cm x 20cm deep to store clothes in .There is A hole that you stick A vacume cleaner into and suck out all the air . . . vacuum packing the contents, then you close the hole with A clip provided. Might be an idea for your power tools?

you can get these 'bags' for £5-£6 in those kind of budget shops you get in every town these days! Phil.

krismusic":21sg5ss1 said:
Hi Guys, I have to move out of the workshop that I have been using for 33 yrs....
My question is this; will power tools, hand tools and fixiongs and fittings deteriorate if kept for a long time in a lock up? AFAIK it is basically dry but the air quality inside is basically the same as outside. Any advice much appreciated. (hammer)
What have you been doing in your current shop to stop the air quality being the same as outside - is it just heated all through winter, or is it more sophisticated?

Thanks Phil. I had vaguely heard of that system.
I intend to keep my power tools at home.
It is a couple of larger machines and loads of assorted hand tools that are the problem.
Whith regard to my current workshop. It is within an occupied house so gets a bit of a
ambient heat...

krismusic":1r49nrge said:
I am still thinking of building a large insulated box inside the lock up.
Would I want to keep a through flow of air or seal it up? Kris

You'd want to seal it up if you could - but that might be more difficult to do than sealing tools inside individual boxes. This is one instance where ventilation is not desirable (assuming you put your tools away dry and not even slightly damp!) as ventilation brings in outside air at it's ambient temperature and it is temperature changes that cause moisture to condense out on metal objects.

Back