Will PVA stick to a painted surface

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to clad my painted newel posts in oak, as I'm putting on a new hand rail and spindles and was wondering if PVA would stick the oak to the painted surface or should I use a "pink grip/gripfill type adhesive. I know it wouldn't be a problem if it was bare wood to bare wood but not sure on a sanded painted surface

for the purpose of just tarting it up, i.e. no structural strength needed, then I would say yes, sand the painted surface well. Then degrease with mineral spirits (paint thinners) and it should stick ok. You would need to clamp or pin it in place whilst it cures.

If in doubt , make a test piece. Paint it, sand it, glue it. Wait a day, and try and get it apart ! Then you know for sure. It's a good idea to get used to doing this if you want piece of mind when doing things out of the norm :)

I have in the past pulled a saw (sideways) over painted wood to get a good scratched surface that bonds well in gluing with PVA glue, works without any problems...and would save you time...bosshogg

Latest posts

Back