Will it ,wont it,will it???????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
I am just about to finally glue my oak table top to its stretcher bar and legs.The timber was allowed to acclimatize in my lounge for about two months before machining.I then glued the boards up to make the top and the legs.The timber then sat in my lounge for perhaps another couple of weeks before I took it to my parents garage for what I intended to be for a couple of days.Unfortunately the couple of days has turned into about three months.Now, my question is, will the timber warp etc, now that it is coming back into my lounge?.The timber remained perfectly straight when it went from lounge to garage, but will it be the same the other way round?.The garage was unheated but seems relatively dry as far as i can tell.What do you think?
Chris

My opinion is the moisture content has risen since the timber was in the garage and bringing back into a central heated house this content will lessen therefore more chance of the timber moving . Having said that i find timber does what it wants when it wants . Maybe leaving it for a while in the room and weighted down will help .
Im sure someone else more experienced in moisture content will prove me wrong :lol:

Tabletops are never glued to the stretchers. That's a recipe for future disaster.

The table top must be able to move, however, slightly, across the grain with changes in humidity. Instead, use metal figure 8 fasteners, or make wooden 'clip blocks' that screw into the top from below, but have a lip that slides in a groove on the inside of the stretcher.

Cheers, Garrett

Sorry when I said stretcher,the stretcher runs the length of the table and is centraly mounted so all the grain runs in the same direction.

Back