Will bandsaw bearing guides handle small blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digit":qxi171ki said:
The sealed ones don't keep the dust out for ever, just delay the inevitable, unfortunately.

Roy.

Can't confirm that personally as mine have not yet failed.
Shielded (as supplied by Record) - 3 months
Rubber sealed - 2.5 years and still clear.

Interesting reading this old thread.

By coincidence, I ended up buying a bigger bandsaw off ebay some time after that, which happened to have ceramic guides. I wouldn't pay the extra price new (I think startrite want nearly £300 as an aftermarket item), but in time (as price comes down) I think they will be the future - so totally fuss free. Massive support - each is about the same size as a bearing, but the whole diameter supports the blade, and very very simple to set up.

Rubber sealed Pete? I've never seen that, maybe that would work but it depends on how often the saw is used of course. In a pro shop the usual seals that I have seen are metal, and they certainly don't last as long as you have indicated.

Roy.

Nearly as long lasting, and much cheaper than ceramic, is good old Tungstan carbide. That's a use for a badly chipped router cutter.

Roy.

The advantage of ceramic is that it is much more slippy to start with, and also temperature doesn't affect it. You can set the guides by closing them against the blade (gently), rather than fussing about setting a clearance. They can also be much larger than metal blocks (mine are c1" or so diameter) because of those factors.

There's no rational reason why it should be expensive that I can see, if the fashionable fad for bearings passes and the Chinese manufacturers see a reason to do it they would be everywhere.

I only have a smaller bandsaw and took off the original cool blocks made of some metal and replaced them with wooden ones made from lignum vitae which is self-lubricating. Blocks are in light contact with the blade and so far have proved excellent - Rob

Hi,
Back to the original question about support for small ( 3 mm) bands.

I just noticed that Carter ( in US) sell a gadget called a Small Blade Stabiliser. Its a bearing with the narrow rim facing the back of the blade and it replaces the upper bearings. Its sales uniqueness is that it has groove round the cirumference of the bearing to support the back of a narrow blade. Its about £33 plus carriage.

regards
Alan

Latest posts

Back