Wiggly pot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I had this piece of beech drying up in the garage roofspace, and decided to do something with it at the weekend. It was roughly cylindrical but as I trued it up a chip of bark I had missed popped out, so rather than lose the entire width, I started this wiggly pattern. Inside was hollowed using a round scraper and spindle gouge. I really need to think about a proper hollowing tool, but I am on a very limited budget so need to work with what I have.
RippledBox-6402.jpg

I added a 2 euro coin for scale. The interior is still a bit rough, but I couldn't fit my hands inside to sand it properly.
RippledBox-6401.jpg

The finish is boiled linseed oil, which darkened the grain considerably. I like the effect though.

I really like the way the grain wiggles with the shape - looks like a good way of maximising the timber.

Why does beech get those dark grey stains in it? I have a few bits of beech which have them..

It's spalting, or mould growing inside the grain. Depending how deep it goes and how dense the grain is (I think) the effect varies considerably.

Fun form that. Nicely made.

Sanding the inside can be done by cutting a slot in a piece of wood - I use an old chisel handle and then putting the abrasive in the slot. That way, no fingers get burned and you can reach right down to the bottom.

Back