Wifes New Birthday Present

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really nice and something on my to do list so I am really interested.

Did you machine the wood yourself? What joints did you use and how is the glass fitted?

I am thinking of cedar but can that be painted?

Mick

I dug a base filled it with rubble and topped it with gravel; there is a pipe from that to pond so it should be all well drained .
I would use sapele if i was doing it again
there are no fancy joints at all because i was lazy and it doesn't really need them

although I would have made a better job of it had I had the time.

The side windows were a pain to do because there were so many and the roof was a pain because the timber was all bent.
sent it back but what they brought the next time was not much better.
I should have planed them all straight but some would have ended up like matchsticks :shock:

this is why i would never use pine again! don't know why i thought it would be any different but have been using oak mainly for years and simply forgot how rubbish pine is as supplied from normal timber yards anyway!

Mike

Hi Mike,
I know this is an old post...and hope your greenhouse is still there :D :D
I'm looking to build as well a Victorian style greenhouse.

Hopefully you can help me with a few questions I have:
- how did you do/ fit the glazing ? I'm thinking about milling the wood and put the glass from the inside.
- I'm looking to use thermowood...what's your thought about that?
- Finally...I'm looking to make it as "Victorian" as possible :D . Therefor I would need the "eaves braces" (hope this is the correct English word) of 135 degrees. I have been browsing the web, especially in the UK, but unfortunately cannot find any. If someone could refer me to a place I can buy those, it would be very helpfull.

Many thanks in advance,
Herman - Belgium

Latest posts

Back