Widest 1/4 inch router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to make a router sled to flatten some end grain slices. My router only takes 1/4 or 3/8 bits however. What is the widest bit available? I know ideally I should buy a 1/2 inch machine, but it is a bit much currently.

I have found 1 inch bits. Has anyone seen larger? Thanks.

I picked up some of these 1-1/2" dia on 1/4" shaft a few years ago don't know if you can still get on 1/4 or 6mm

image_2022-05-16_153337726.png

Yes no problem that one was a 1-1/2 x 1/4 3 wing slot I had to deepen the countersunk hole to drop the head lower and worked for flattening for many years very easy to sharpen up as well, I now use a larger one on my cnc for levelling the spoil board.

Whichever way you go ( I don't do much of this but have flattened burr elm about 15" wide using a 1/4" plunge router), I think 3 wing cutters are much better than a 2 flute in larger sizes. I use an old but decent one about 1" in dia that has chamfered corners and it's a nice cutter.

The recommendation of a spoilboard cutter (above) is a really good one, (y)but that's a very budget example. The carbide being so much bigger than the supporting steel makes it weak and liable to chipping. I tried a 40mm carbide tipped forstner bit that was built like that and the carbide chipped on the very first hole.
I'd expect to pay 2x, even 5x the price for a quality large diameter cutter.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will give it a try with the cheap one. Sounds big enough to have go and if it turns out a success, I can start saving up for a big router!

Any advice on Router sleds? having just lost my Wadkin uo planner thicknessers ( motor burnt out due to dropped phase in converter and bottom pully fell apart while extracting the engine) for the number of times I actualy used its capacity a router sled might be a space and cost effective alternative route.

Just purchased the Trend surface router jig to replace my home made behemoth. I use my old Trend T5 with a 4 blade cutter (25mm) from Wealden Tools (T2430). The finish is fantastic and well worth paying a little extra for this level of quality

just looked at a trend jig on line, I wondered if it would be stiff enough, good to here from some one using it. I

Im thinking of useing the floor space freed up from the P/T to build an mft work bench that I could jig for a router sled for bigger items.

So far so good. This is almost as addictive as milling! Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_135720_270.jpg
    IMG_20220515_135720_270.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 0
Just purchased the Trend surface router jig to replace my home made behemoth. I use my old Trend T5 with a 4 blade cutter (25mm) from Wealden Tools (T2430). The finish is fantastic and well worth paying a little extra for this level of quality
The sled only takes a 30mm guide bush so make sure you have one for your make of router. Because of this you are limited to the size of cutter. Nevertheless, I am very happy with the sled and bit

Latest posts

Back