Widest 1/4 inch router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to make a router sled to flatten some end grain slices. My router only takes 1/4 or 3/8 bits however. What is the widest bit available? I know ideally I should buy a 1/2 inch machine, but it is a bit much currently.

I have found 1 inch bits. Has anyone seen larger? Thanks.

Phill05

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up some of these 1-1/2" dia on 1/4" shaft a few years ago don't know if you can still get on 1/4 or 6mm

image_2022-05-16_153337726.png

Phill05

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes no problem that one was a 1-1/2 x 1/4 3 wing slot I had to deepen the countersunk hole to drop the head lower and worked for flattening for many years very easy to sharpen up as well, I now use a larger one on my cnc for levelling the spoil board.

Reaction score
Have a look at spoil board surfacing bits for cnc's
I have one which is 1 1/4 with replaceable carbide inserts that has a 1/4" shank, i am pretty sure that there are bigger available still with 1/4" they arn't cheap but at least you can rotate then replace the inserts
Or go done the solid route
Hope this helps

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
Whichever way you go ( I don't do much of this but have flattened burr elm about 15" wide using a 1/4" plunge router), I think 3 wing cutters are much better than a 2 flute in larger sizes. I use an old but decent one about 1" in dia that has chamfered corners and it's a nice cutter.

The recommendation of a spoilboard cutter (above) is a really good one, (y)but that's a very budget example. The carbide being so much bigger than the supporting steel makes it weak and liable to chipping. I tried a 40mm carbide tipped forstner bit that was built like that and the carbide chipped on the very first hole.
I'd expect to pay 2x, even 5x the price for a quality large diameter cutter.

Last edited:

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will give it a try with the cheap one. Sounds big enough to have go and if it turns out a success, I can start saving up for a big router!

matt bridge

Reaction score
Any advice on Router sleds? having just lost my Wadkin uo planner thicknessers ( motor burnt out due to dropped phase in converter and bottom pully fell apart while extracting the engine) for the number of times I actualy used its capacity a router sled might be a space and cost effective alternative route.

Peanutcoxy

Reaction score
Just purchased the Trend surface router jig to replace my home made behemoth. I use my old Trend T5 with a 4 blade cutter (25mm) from Wealden Tools (T2430). The finish is fantastic and well worth paying a little extra for this level of quality

matt bridge

Reaction score
just looked at a trend jig on line, I wondered if it would be stiff enough, good to here from some one using it. I

Im thinking of useing the floor space freed up from the P/T to build an mft work bench that I could jig for a router sled for bigger items.

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
So far so good. This is almost as addictive as milling! Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_135720_270.jpg
    IMG_20220515_135720_270.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 0

Peanutcoxy

Reaction score
Just purchased the Trend surface router jig to replace my home made behemoth. I use my old Trend T5 with a 4 blade cutter (25mm) from Wealden Tools (T2430). The finish is fantastic and well worth paying a little extra for this level of quality
The sled only takes a 30mm guide bush so make sure you have one for your make of router. Because of this you are limited to the size of cutter. Nevertheless, I am very happy with the sled and bit

Latest posts