wickes plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike s

Established Member
Reaction score
i went to wickes to buy 2 sheets of 18mm ply (2.4x1.2m) for a router table i am building
i was disappointed to find that every single piece of sheet material in the place had been incorrectly stacked so that it had bent, dipped and twisted into a, for me, unusable state.
has anyone else experienced this problem in their local store? they charge a high enough price to expect quality but they do not hit the mark
i will try b&q to see if their selection is of a better quality, i hope so!
where do you get your ply?
thanks

Wickes, b and q etc do not have great reputations for timber.

I got the ply for my router table from Alsford in Cobham. They have a panel saw if you need it cut to managable sizes

Mark

I've just cut up a B&Q 18mm ply (WBP) 8x 4 sheet to make some panel clamps and it was fine - flat and rare to see a void even though I was cutting 75mm strips. The large New Malden branch (not too far from you in Epsom) has a panel saw and will cut to size and only charge for what you want. Keep your eye open for the offcuts - these are sold off typically at a £1 a go!

As Mark noted above you do need to avoid certain boards (usually thinner MDF) - it appears that all are delivered on standard sized pallets (circa 1m square) which are just put on the shelves, consequently both board ends are unsupported and soon bend/warp under their own weight! I suspect staff ignorance of correct handling rather than inferior timber.

Having just purchased a Trend T11 I'm also planning to build a router table (after current projects are complete) - so I'd be interested in any details you'd care to share.

Mike try champions timber next time. There's a few near you chessington, New Malden and claygate. You won't fault their stuff they sell , very good quality.

You aren't a million miles from SL Hardwoods who are also very helpful, especially if you want something you won't find in one of the sheds - just avoid trying to get to them during the rush hour ;)

Back