Wickes biscuit jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Noticed over the weekend that Wickes are doing a biscuit jointer for £20. This is has 'too good to be true' written all over it, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Wickes branded power tools?

V.

OK, this is my first contribution to the forum.
I too was in Wickes the other day and saw a "Wickes" 1/2 inch router for just £50 :eek: and a sign saying they were unable to continue selling this item :cry: .
The router was painted in Wickes colours but it was identical to my Freud 2000 router :!: .
How could they have been selling this for just 50 quid?
And why didn't I see this before I paid £160 for my Freud?

I really *really* hope it just looked like the Freud and the motor was actually made of mud and twigs, 'cos I just bought a second hand Freud 2000VCE for just under £100! :evil:

For the sake of our sanity, let's assume that it is not a rebadged Freud, and it would have given very poor performance had we bought it. It would probably smell bad too.

Much better to buy the real thing.

*phew* :lol:

Pardon my manners - welcome to the forum! :D

There are some very helpful folks here. And one or two people like me too, sorry about that...

V.

Welcome to the forum, PR

Funny that; just this morning I saw what appeared to be the Freud 1/2" router, but rebadged, er, something that escapes me... "C" something I think? Not for £50 though - pretty much Freud price IIRC. (I really must remember to write these things down at the time.
blush2.gif
) No point to this info; I merely mention it in passing.
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Was it Casals, Alf? Axminster have started to do their stuff, but I've never seen any in the flesh.

NeilCFD

Formulac

It is too good to be true. Steer well clear of cheap biscuit jointers as precision and a sturdy fence is required for decent biscuit work

I posted on here somewhere about a cheapy I bought and then took back!!

Welcome aboard PR.....

I'll fess up to learning the hard way.... buy cheap an ya pay dear... whole bunch of cheap power tools that looked too good to miss... utterly hopeless when it came to use... anybody need a doorstop....?????

Welcome PR

Not that i'm averse to a bargain or two, but i have
to say that IMHO Wickes own stuff is pretty poor.

TX

Hi All,
I recently posted a completed project whose progress was nearly stopped by the help of my Ferm cheapy biscuit jointer. I really think quality is important in biscuit joinery-you can't make do with nearly, it got to be spot on.
This probably won't make sense until you use one for a while-if you're in my part of the country you are welcome to borrow my Ferm and learn the lessons cheaply!
(incidently, my lessons learned-now a proud Lamello owner! :twisted: )
regards
Philly :D

oooowwww ferm biscuit joiner........

it still makes me shiver and go all cold, truely the stuff of nightmares

steve

*proud axminster owner now*

Bearing this in mind, can anyone actually recommend a biscuit jointer that can be considered sufficiently accurate to be worth buying? I don't mean the £500 jobs with the motors hand wound by Guatemalan maidens, but something a little more reasonable - is it possible to get one for around £100?

V.

Back