Wickes advertise hardwood ply, but deliver softwood ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I got my order of 4 8x4 sheets of what i thought was going to be hardwood ply, and whats been delivered is clearly softwood. I mean theres more knots in it than a scout camp and it's pretty much unsuitable to build units with. This is rough as a badgers bum stuff you'd use for shuttering and the like, or mixing up cement on, then skip or burn after use.

This might actually be something im stuck with as i've just noticed the get out clause at the bottom of the description
" We currently hold stock of both white and brown boards, so you may receive either colour. The brown board is hardwood & the white board is softwood, both boards are structural 18mm Plywood CE2+ "

Im annoyed all the same though, that their advertised pic is of a nice unblemished brown faced clearly hardwood board, but what ive been sent is just tat. Knots, fill, cracks and all the other horrors you dont want to see.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Structural-Plywood-CE2+---18-X-1220-X-2440mm/p/252240Do I have any come back on this. Can i refuse and ask for specifically hardwood, or lay an accusation at them for false advertising, that they are claiming they do both, but in reality dont and the nice hardwood board is just for advertising to fool the unwary.
Currently I cant get through to their store. Keeps ringing out though its still only the morning. But im sure il get through eventually or maybe better phoning Wickes head office and see what they're willing to do about it.

Last edited:
Argue on the 'B/CC grade' i.e on clear(ish) face point. It's clearly not that from what you say. Wickes are generally pretty good, but as with owt now you'll probably have to make some noise.

The issue is not the source of the face veneer but the grading. Whatever you ordered in CE+2 will always have surface defects on both sides. If it's Luan faced ply from the 'Far East' build quality will be low with voids in the layers. Save it for rough work and source some Baltic B/BB faced ply.

From the Wickes link, it appears to be the store's choice of what you receive.

Wickes-1.png

I saw that Mike, its the bit im referring to in my post when I quoted it. m Clearly it is their choice, but this is not what is pictured. Im sure had they pictured tatty bits of ply in that advertisement, they'd get no orders for it. No they've advertised hardwood ply primarily because it looks so nice and uniform. Just the stuff you would want to buy, but they send you stuff you regret hitting the buy button for.

I got 4 sheets of this, but had i gone to Travis Perkins as i was going to do, I would have got 3 sheets of good quality hardwood ply for 30 quid more.(£180 for 4/£210 for3)
Is it a case of YGWYPF?
No it isnt. False advertising as far as i can see it. Its like you look to buy some timber. They have what looks like oak in the pic, then send you some cls pine instead. It doesnt specifically say it is oak, just says timber. Is that not misleading ?
They're picturing hardwood boards as their primary pic, then sending softwood. I doubt they actually have hardwood ply in stock.

So you could have got better quality at a higher price elsewhere.

I saw that Mike, its the bit im referring to in my post when I quoted it. m Clearly it is their choice, ... I doubt they actually have hardwood ply in stock.
Might be worth going to see if they do or do not.

But I suspect you are stuck with it - the "get out clause" as you call it is on the same page as all the other info, and just as prominent.

The issue is not the source of the face veneer but the grading
It is when it is the advert. I agree CE2+ is expected to be rough, but a national co advertising it as '7ply B/CC grade', is wrong and it's about the only way the op will have of getting his money back or exchanged.

Except they are advertising it as CE2 not B/CC.
It’s sounds harsh, but you got exactly what they advertised and stated. Notch it up to one of life’s learning opportunities.

3 of the 4 boards have up to 30 knots per side, some filled , one board has a full length crack, others have small splits in them and visible voids in the edges

I tried phoning the Glasgow store several times since 10:30am this morning, but each time it rings for about 3 minutes then goes dead.
Needless to say head office answered pretty quick and ive put my concerns that what is advertised - clean brown faced boards is not what was sent. ie tatty knotty, split rubbish, totally unsuitable for building cabinet units. They may be for the workshop, but f'ing B&Q boards look considerably better and those are brown hardwood faced too.
I just have to send them an email with some pics, and they can decide. Hopefully my complaint might gel the Glasgow store into sending me something far nicer.
Or I'll take a refund and get from TP or even B&Q. B&Q arent the best, but ive used theirs before and for all the small issues they havew - small voids, i'd much rather have them than a surface i cant even paint.

For those answers above - Its not a case of tough luck, that's the quality and you're stuck now. I have the option to replace or refund as standard, especially as its on the same day they've been received. But distance selling regulations allow me to change my mind.

There is no such face grade as CE2 for exterior plywood. It should actually be marked in accordance with BS EN 13986. CE2+ refers to the test for exterior ply. So what you bought was ‘’C’ould be ‘E’nything’.
If you bought it in person and had it delivered you aren’t covered by distance selling laws.
The question you asked was about the quality they delivered, you got exactly what they advertised and were clear about in their description.

Last edited:
If you bought it in person and had it delivered you aren’t covered by distance selling laws.
I bought it via the website, soi am covered. Everything you buy on ebay, amazon etc is via a website ans it is then delivered. Thats what 'distance' means.

Pic one - advertised image
pic 2 ,3 etc what arrived.

Attachments

• GPID_5000011448_00.jpg
    GPID_5000011448_00.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4165.JPG
    DSCF4165.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4168.JPG
    DSCF4168.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4164.JPG
    DSCF4164.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
I've bought plywood from Wickes several times in the past (before the recent Ukraine impact). Their labelling is pretty vague, and it felt like a lottery as to what you received.

But you've bought ply labelled as "B/CC" (it's in the snapshot above), if it's not then you have a problem to complain about. Those knots don't look too bad. It's unrealistic to expect perfect ply like in the photo.

How can anyone just sell something without being specific, it sounds like you pay your money and get something along the lines of what you want but it may not be. Perhaps they advertised wrongly, should have just said exterior or shuttering ply which then infers it is low grade and no one cares if it is softwood or hardwood and if you really wanted quality then you would just avoid. With wood it really does pay to see what you are buying.

As Spectric stated,....Its listed as structural/ shuttering ply......I would never have assumed that it would be good enough to make cabinets from....not even for my workshop.
The sales picture is misleading, but they appear to have covered themselves with the disclaimer in the description.....😧😧

Im sure Wicks customer service will look to please and arrange return and refund. Bloody hell no sympathy from you lot eh :LOL:

Last edited:
Can you not take it back??

They have always been really good with me.

I tend to buy in person and check what I'm buying.

I've had some good ply from Wickes tbh.

Back