why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Why is it that the "BBC Rant" has been allowed to continue as it is?
It has managed to become a full blown Brexit discussion with no mention of the original topic.
The whole thread has started to become very toxic, name calling from both sides of the discussion have now become the normal everyday thing, that along with personal insults being thrown around ,have ruined the thread for me.

Have we now set ourselves a precedent in that we can now alter the topic of any thread being posted?

In any of the woodwork categories any attempt of altering the topics is very quickly jumped upon, yet for some reason this one is allowed to continue. The discussion of Brexit has very much become a political issue, there is point scoring from all parties and very little else happening, the "BBC Rant" thread is also turning into a point scoring exercise with nothing new being added to the argument.

Brexit quite rightly needs to be discussed in a civilised manor and in the right place, not by hijacking someone else's thread.

That's my rant over. (hammer)

I am wondering if that is the thread that caused an outburst from another member, he thought I had insulted him ( in fact I insulted someone else) but he mentioned Brexit. I don't recall talking about that and I have not commented on the BBC thread as far as I know.

I'm posting on the rant "thread", I'm certainly no saint, although I like to think my post are generally mickey taking or an effort to inject humour. No one takes me seriously anyway which is a good thing :D
I have asked for it to be closed as well on many occasions.

Don't think it helps that a moderator is heavily involved, however not sure if he or another is moderating that thread. I'll emphasis that's an opinion of that thread and overall all the moderators do an outstanding job.

I agree, and at some point it evolved into the toxic cesspool of political 'discussion' which never ends well, it has put me off the forum quite a bit to be honest, it shows the worst side of certain people on here and it's not good for their reputation which isn't something they seem to care about, not saying I'm perfect either, far from it, we're all human and we can all get worked up at times, it's a tricky balance and I don't envy having to moderate it.

This has been addressed already somewhere.

It was allowed to continue as Brexit was deemed an important issue that comes along once (or three or four times (I'll edit accordingly)) in a lifetime, and keeping it in one thread means we're not overrun with 'my dads bigger than your dad' threads.

This will be the only political thread allowed.

You all know what its about - if you don't want see the worst in your fellow forum members then don't read the post. Its exactly why there is a no politics rule.

.....on the other hand, whilst they are ranting there they are not polluting other threads.
I ignore it other than noting it's still ongoing.

nev":2vxoi8ta said:
This has been addressed already somewhere.

It was allowed to continue as Brexit was deemed an important issue that comes along once (or three or four times (I'll edit accordingly)) in a lifetime, and keeping it in one thread means we're not overrun with 'my dads bigger than your dad' threads.

This will be the only political thread allowed.

You all know what its about - if you don't want see the worst in your fellow forum members then don't read the post. Its exactly why there is a no politics rule.

The thing is Nev it stops being a political discussion when pages of it are filled with personal insults...

Actually it probably resembles politicians more than we all like to admit ...

nev":91rn56cn said:
if you don't want see the worst in your fellow forum members

I agree with that 100%, it has certainly brought out the worst in some (from both sides of the fence), as others have already said I would not want to be moderating that thread.

Will the thread get closed once Brexit has reached it's final conclusion? or will it end up being a never ending one?

Garno":2d1yptdc said:
nev":2d1yptdc said:

I agree with that 100%, it has certainly brought out the worst in some (from both sides of the fence), as others have already said I would not want to be moderating that thread.

Will the thread get closed once Brexit has reached it's final conclusion? or will it end up being a never ending one?

Thread locked, printed out and a ceremonial burning.

Garno":1062v66y said:
nev":1062v66y said:

That would depend on your government Garno, could be a while the way things are going : )......but as said best to keep everything in one place.

And as Nev suggested , best to ignore it and stay well wide of it if it causes problems for you or indeed anybody else.

Will that be a ticketed occasion or invite only Nev :) and do we have to bring our own beer?

Rorschach":23ar3mxv said:
I am wondering if that is the thread that caused an outburst from another member, he thought I had insulted him ( in fact I insulted someone else) but he mentioned Brexit. I don't recall talking about that and I have not commented on the BBC thread as far as I know.
Rorschach":23ar3mxv said:
rafezetter":23ar3mxv said:
Probably for the best, I'm certainly guilty - sorry. :oops:
Was I right RE: above post? :wink:
:roll: :roll: :roll: priceless

lurker":23ar3mxv said:
.....on the other hand, whilst they are ranting there they are not polluting other threads.
I suspect the Brexit discussion had bled into the other threads. The utter vitriol dished out and the level of sycophancy on the basic aspect of the 'precision or not' threads were surely not based on that topic alone. It all kicked off on Brexit D-Day.

I think having space to rant off on non-forum specific topics is a good safety valve, you know what you're stepping into so easily avoided if need be.

I have already complained about the nature of the Rant thread. I was surprised to get a very self serving reply from a mod and not surprised to see that a mod is involved.

I expect the mods to remain uninvolved, even handed and to remain above the fray. The nature of the Rant thread is now so poisoned that the individuals and the mod involved should be ashamed.

I'm off for a good while to view new web sites and meet new groups. This site will continue or not as this poison continues.

beech1948":h0w9uamo said:
I have already complained about the nature of the Rant thread. I was surprised to get a very self serving reply from a mod and not surprised to see that a mod is involved.

I expect the mods to remain uninvolved, even handed and to remain above the fray. The nature of the Rant thread is now so poisoned that the individuals and the mod involved should be ashamed.

I'm off for a good while to view new web sites and meet new groups. This site will continue or not as this poison continues.

I wasn't aware of anyone else mentioning it, I would of tagged my message on the end of that had I known, I must confess to not checking though.

I do agree with you about how that thread has turned poisonous.

One thing I do disagree on is regarding the mods. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinions and the mods are free to voice theirs in the same way others have. None of them have said we must agree with them nor have they banned anyone for having a different opinion.

The mods made a decision to allow that thread to continue as a brexit thread and we have to respect that, I do not for a second believe any of them expected it to get as toxic as it has done, I also believe that they do need to do something to stem it as it will soon get too out of control, with members just not helping each other due to bad words being exchanged in the thread.

Mistakes have been made by both forum members and mods in that thread, but none should be big enough to make any member turn his/her back. As soon as Brexit gets sorted the thread will be closed and that will suit me. I can only hope that those responsible will feel ashamed when it's all over but that will be something we will never know.

In the meantime whilst waiting for it to end I have much more important things to worry about, I really need to think how much money to send to that poor Nigerian banker so he can get his millions released, not going to spoil things by letting you know how much he is going to give me for helping him, needless to say, I won't ever need to work again. :shock:

Glad to be back on the Forum after several weeks/couple of months enforced absence.

Re the "BBC Rant" thread, I don't know why there's all the concern about that thread. Really.

When if first appeared I looked in, was initially tempted to join in but decided not to, and since then I've dipped in to the on-going now "three million+" posts now and then! Though I've been tempted to post there a couple of times, after quick 2nd thoughts I've always decided not to. And I'm pleased with my decision, which will remain unchanged however long that thread goes on. Why?

1. In general it seems to consist of "the usual suspects" as the main participants;
2. There is no real debate as far as I can see, simply existing opinions (of whatever stripe) becoming more and more entrenched;
3. Quite a few times the existing opinions have descended into personal abuse (on both sides);
4. Not at all in keeping with the generally VERY high "spirit" of this Forum on all other threads here (with the possible exception of sharpening)!

OTOH, that thread does, IMO, have one HUGE benefit for the rest of us - namely, it's kept all the rest of the threads much more civil than the usual (normally very civil) tone of threads - in other words, it's provided a "dustbin" for all the "lunatic fringe" (of all persuasions) members to go and slag each other off to their hearts content without disturbing the rest of us.

In short, IMO, the way to handle it is simple - by all means pop in from time to time (just to confirm for yourself that it's all the "same old, same old" carp that it always has been). Otherwise just ignore it.

So for me, long may it continue - just like the kiddies play centre at the supermarket, it's a place for the children to go and make a big useless fuss while the adults get on with something more worthwhile on the rest of the Forum.

So now we have a thread about a 418 page thread which should not exist because it breaks the "politics" rule and is only allowed to go on because a "mod" allows it. What is the point of having a rule book if it is not adhered to?

Latest posts

Back