why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whiskywill":2gqc9e7o said:
So now we have a thread about a 418 page thread which should not exist because it breaks the "politics" rule and is only allowed to go on because a "mod" allows it. What is the point of having a rule book if it is not adhered to?

Equally, what's the point of a mod if you don't respect their decision?

These are strange times indeed. Having a vent in the form of that 418 page thread is surely a measured approach.

whiskywill":2ab9zef7 said:
So now we have a thread about a 418 page thread which should not exist* because it breaks the "politics" rule and is only allowed to go on because a "mod" allows it. What is the point of having a rule book if it is not adhered to?

With respect WW I'm afraid you are mistaken on all your points.
To paraphrase one, what is the point of having a rule book if it is not read?
Additionally you can have a look at the posts on P1 of this thread such as #1277566.

* Schrodinger's thread? : )

"Noel"

Sticking to the "letter of the law" (i.e. the posted rules for this Forum as far as I understand them) you're dead right whiskywill.

OTOH, a Mod is himself is involved and has allowed it to "rumble on" (God knows why, it may very well be a very important subject but no amount of posting on this Forum is ever going to change anything at all).

But in the end, as I posted above, why bother about it? Just ignore it. At least it provides a "safety valve" for those that care to participate "away in a corner" without disturbing the rest of us.

Who cares? Life's too short and anyway, it's full of lots of stuff that REALLY IS important !

AES":1ik53yen said:
Sticking to the "letter of the law" (i.e. the posted rules for this Forum as far as I understand them) you're dead right whiskywill.

OTOH, a Mod is himself is involved and has allowed it to "rumble on" (God knows why, it may very well be a very important subject but no amount of posting on this Forum is ever going to change anything at all).

But in the end, as I posted above, why bother about it? Just ignore it. At least it provides a "safety valve" for those that care to participate "away in a corner" without disturbing the rest of us.

Who cares? Life's too short and anyway, it's full of lots of stuff that REALLY IS important !

This is getting worse than some of the claims made on the thread in question!!! : )
Your first sentence AES is wrong, inaccurate and misleading.
A good example, for all members, were rules should be read before using the forum and especially before commenting on them.
Thanks.

Oh dear oh dear! Emergency alarm!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets all stop this thread now because it seems some of the "participants" of the other thing are leaking over into this sane part of the Forum now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if what I said was wrong Noel - as I said "as per my understanding" of reading the rules (a long time ago) and that's what I remember. So what if what I understood is wrong?

My understanding of this Forum is that it's not supposed to be a place for politics. Or am I wrong there too?

If so, I don't really care - I regard this as a place for good social interaction while learning about how to make stuff (primarily but not exclusively) in wood. A role which, apart from "that" thread, this Forum generally fulfils admirably. If that changes I'll move on. Until then I'll stay here and just ignore any more posts on this thread (and on "that" thread too of course)!!!!

"Have a nice day"

A good example, for all members, were rules should be read before using the forum and especially before commenting on them.
Thanks.

Yep, you were indeed correct. .... : )

Ive learnt a lot from the Brexit thread, I dont agree its going around in circles. Some of the contributors are very knowledgeable.

It is a fantastic opportunity to see the opinions from people from all regions of the country and from all walks of life.

I consider such a thread a good way to learn. It is too easy to read ones choice of newspaper and suffer confirmation bias.

It is a bit heated, that is the nature of such a divisive issue. Mostly though it remains polite.

So thumbs up for me =D> and thank youto the mods for allowing such a thread, it must generate a lot of work for you guys

the level of sycophancy on the basic aspect of the 'precision or not' threads

Shed9? Care to elucidate? If my guess is correct, the thread in question was conducted with civility as a deliberate and direct contrast to the appalling name-calling and personal abuse of the 'rant' thread.
Sycophancy, no, but a demonstration that disagreeing with another member's post can be done without simultaneously offering offence.

Sam, who does not call a spade 'a digging implement', nor 'a forkin' shovel'.

SammyQ":20sv18vt said:
the level of sycophancy on the basic aspect of the 'precision or not' threads
Shed9? Care to elucidate?
Beyond the obvious aspect that there are clique groups on here who will support each other regardless of the discussion itself and sometimes this is to the detriment of others? Nope.
If my guess is correct, the thread in question was conducted with civility as a deliberate and direct contrast to the appalling name-calling and personal abuse of the 'rant' thread.
Sycophancy, no, but a demonstration that disagreeing with another member's post can be done without simultaneously offering offence.
I appreciate the actual 'precise / imprecise' thread in the tools section was more civil and I agree that it turned some of the previous incivility around. My own comment was predominantly referring to the square thread itself which devolved into the tool precision bun fight and the subsequent threads which it bled into.
Sam, who does not call a spade 'a digging implement', nor 'a forkin' shovel'.
Surely that depends on the precision of the blade of the spade itself :wink:

Shed? You made me cough up my slurp of tea with that last sentence mate! :D
Now fully understand your comments ( and agree about cliques, no names though) and confess I was unaware - and will continue to be so - of the square thread dust-up. Life is too bloody short for playground posturing.

Safe sawdust, Sam.

shed9":tpp4jotz said:
Rorschach":tpp4jotz said:
I am wondering if that is the thread that caused an outburst from another member, he thought I had insulted him ( in fact I insulted someone else) but he mentioned Brexit. I don't recall talking about that and I have not commented on the BBC thread as far as I know.
Rorschach":tpp4jotz said:
rafezetter":tpp4jotz said:
Probably for the best, I'm certainly guilty - sorry. :oops:
Was I right RE: above post? :wink:
:roll: :roll: :roll: priceless

lurker":tpp4jotz said:
.....on the other hand, whilst they are ranting there they are not polluting other threads.
I suspect the Brexit discussion had bled into the other threads. The utter vitriol dished out and the level of sycophancy on the basic aspect of the 'precision or not' threads were surely not based on that topic alone. It all kicked off on Brexit D-Day.

I think having space to rant off on non-forum specific topics is a good safety valve, you know what you're stepping into so easily avoided if need be.

Rorshach - my apology was not aimed for you, but the wider audience. However as you've now shown you like to score points off me, pretty much proves your previous denial to be false. The very fact that you posted "he's a waste of space" (paraphrased) immediately after jacobs post calling me sanity into question, and yo included no quote of the "other person" you claim to have been insulting is as clear as it gets - or are you willing to name that "other person" you were aiming your "waste of space" insult at?

Shed9 - I'm not suprised you've also joined the bandwagon of scoring points off me; it's also obvious that this is on the back of my comments regarding your ludicrous claims in another thread that a cheap square will somehow magically go "out of square", while an expensive one won't, given the same treatment, with absolutely no empirical evidence of any kind to back that up.

All of that and now Argee publicly accusing me of deliberate intent of malice for a poorly worded reply - for which I apologised - AND MEANT IT - all the while claiming I don't know him and therefore have no right to doubt his honesty, yet him feeling somehow justified in publicly suggesting I had deliberatly malicious intentions, despite him not know me EITHER.

pot. kettle. black. - the lot of you.

hypocrites and children.

rafezetter":2evxvlkb said:
Rorshach - my apology was not aimed for you, but the wider audience. However as you've now shown you like to score points off me, pretty much proves your previous denial to be false. The very fact that you posted "he's a waste of space" (paraphrased) immediately after jacobs post calling me sanity into question, and yo included no quote of the "other person" you claim to have been insulting is as clear as it gets - or are you willing to name that "other person" you were aiming your "waste of space" insult at?

Shed9 - I'm not suprised you've also joined the bandwagon of scoring points off me; it's also obvious that this is on the back of my comments regarding your ludicrous claims in another thread that a cheap square will somehow magically go "out of square", while an expensive one won't, given the same treatment, with absolutely no empirical evidence of any kind to back that up.
You are kidding right, you and Rorshach are fighting between yourselves on who insulted me first and I’m scoring points for referencing this fact? And yet you repeat the same insults again and demand I satisfy your ignorance regarding tool manufacture?
All of that and now Argee publicly accusing me of deliberate intent of malice for a poorly worded reply - for which I apologised - AND MEANT IT - all the while claiming I don't know him and therefore have no right to doubt his honesty, yet him feeling somehow justified in publicly suggesting I had deliberatly malicious intentions, despite him not know me EITHER.
For what it’s worth I think Argee had misread your original comments on that thread. I didn’t see anything offensive in your request to not use PayPal gift and to ask if there were any other issues you needed to know before committing to the sale and booking a courier. I think this was a simple case of communication lost in translation which is unfortunately common in Internet conversations. I believe your original and subsequent messages were sincere and honest and I’m truly sorry you ended up where you did in that fall-out.
pot. kettle. black. - the lot of you.

hypocrites and children.
As I’ve said to you and others, if you have an issue with me, grow a pair and tell me what it is because if you really are dishing out this level of vitriol based on a disagreement over the cost and quality of squares then you really need to review your interactions with people online.

PS: given the misunderstanding with Argee you may want to turn down the dial on CAPS LOCK shouting. That is not points scoring but genuine advice.

It was the other person in the nearest post, I could dig it up, but I can't be bothered, it wasn't you, but you don't seem to care anyway.

All good fun here :lol:

Back