Why use a cyclone on your vac for power tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this setup from Amazon as it was a complete system already made instead of me DIYing something together.
Works well so far just connected up to a Henry Vac, definitely better than changing the bags over and over again.
https://amzn.to/3xUdKUC

I run a Festool CTLSYS under my bench that I use with any hand held power tools.
I have a cyclone attached that drops everything in a blue tub.

The system completely stops me filling and having to empty the expensive Festool filter bags......and by that I mean that I always forget to check it's full and then the blue tub AND the Festool bag fill up completely until I notice that performance has dropped... 😂

I have same or similar saw and would appreciate a few pics i
of your mods as a comparison to mine . I did have to seal the chamber that encloses the blade and used 68 mm down pipe to connect to my vac /cyclone and also tee,d off to provide extraction to the guard ..I discarded the adapter which came with the saw
Ive got a dw745. My blade area is enclosed ( factory ) and a George hoover fits perfectly in the adaptor for site use. The 68mm downpipe fittings are plumbed into my workshop extractor.
I find the lower extraction is very good. I need to make a new crown guard to get the top extraction better ( its an aftermarket 63mm currently )

The Oneida cyclone came with a grounding kit ( aluminium tape and a tag ) to connect to 1 of the securing bolts then a length of copper wire is used with a flat washer resting on the floor. My other generic cyclone doesn’t have the grounding ( as yet ) but having used my planer for a couple of hours I noticed every time I emptied the tub I received a shock due to the build up of static within the container (I assume) it’s worth adding as it doesn’t happen with the Oneida. Will send picks later tomorrow.

I have a cheap, made in China cyclone, bought from an eBay seller in China, chose basically the cheapest one as I expect they come from the same factory, obviously had to wait for delivery. £15.98 including delivery in 2020. 50 mm inlet size, plastic, works well connected to a henry. Have it on a wheeled cart, I think the main thing is to support the inlet pipe to take any tension off the inlet to the cyclone. Small metal drum base, had to reinforce the inside with plywood rings, fixed in place with silicone adhesive, to stop drum collapsing. Did not bother with pressure release valve.

When I looked the cheap plastic cyclones were limited to 50mm. Anything bigger seemed to be branded, expensive products.

The Oneida cyclone came with a grounding kit ( aluminium tape and a tag ) to connect to 1 of the securing bolts then a length of copper wire is used with a flat washer resting on the floor. My other generic cyclone doesn’t have the grounding ( as yet ) but having used my planer for a couple of hours I noticed every time I emptied the tub I received a shock due to the build up of static within the container (I assume) it’s worth adding as it doesn’t happen with the Oneida. Will send picks later tomorrow.
Pics of the grounding kit supplied with Oneida cyclone -easily achieved with aluminium tape , wire and a cable crimp -I’ll fit one to my other cyclone at some point .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 16
I have same or similar saw and would appreciate a few pics i
of your mods as a comparison to mine . I did have to seal the chamber that encloses the blade and used 68 mm down pipe to connect to my vac /cyclone and also tee,d off to provide extraction to the guard ..I discarded the adapter which came with the saw
I got the idea from a video series on Youtube by Ohyo56. If you can find it, he gives a video that pretty well shows what he did. I had to modify his pattern to fit my saw as mine is one of the very early ones with the plastic housing so there are many differences in it.

Ive got a dw745. My blade area is enclosed ( factory ) and a George hoover fits perfectly in the adaptor for site use. The 68mm downpipe fittings are plumbed into my workshop extractor.
I find the lower extraction is very good. I need to make a new crown guard to get the top extraction better ( its an aftermarket 63mm currently )
You just think it's enclosed. It's got a large area at the top that is wide open and it lets a lot of the sawdust out. Watch the video by Ohyo56 on Youtube and you'll see what he did and got almost 100% capture.

I found the video..... I'll have a look at my saw next time im at the workshop. To be honest, im probably too lazy to make that......

I found the video..... I'll have a look at my saw next time im at the workshop. To be honest, im probably too lazy to make that......

It was worth the time for me. I hated all the sawdust falling out the bottom of my saw and even after enclosing the bottom of it I still got a lot of sawdust. Now, I get very little. It was an easy thing for me to do on my saw. Not as beautiful as what he did but it works. I still have to do the rubber hose seal on mine but that may never get done.

Yes I also found the video and I’d really like to make it but there is no audio to go with the video-reminds me of building my greenhouse ( aluminium frame and glass) via pictures for instructions it was really difficult and I reverted to trial and error and eventually got it done. My saw is about 3 years old and had a similar plastic enclosure around the frame. On a positive note the results are truly impressive.👍👍

Yes I also found the video and I’d really like to make it but there is no audio to go with the video-reminds me of building my greenhouse ( aluminium frame and glass) via pictures for instructions it was really difficult and I reverted to trial and error and eventually got it done. My saw is about 3 years old and had a similar plastic enclosure around the frame. On a positive note the results are truly impressive.👍👍
I didn't find it a problem by just watching the video a few times and comparing it to my saw. I'm sure you can do the same.

I didn't find it a problem by just watching the video a few times and comparing it to my saw. I'm sure you can do the same.
Fair enough-I’ll give it a few watches and give it a go , admittedly I had my son trying his best to convince me he needs a computer and a VR headset and a ps5 for Xmas so the thought of several hundred pounds of money I don’t have was probably a little distracting. 🤣🤣

Fair enough-I’ll give it a few watches and give it a go , admittedly I had my son trying his best to convince me he needs a computer and a VR headset and a ps5 for Xmas so the thought of several hundred pounds of money I don’t have was probably a little distracting. 🤣🤣
Whenever I told my Dad that I "wished I had" anything, his standard reply would always be "wish in one hand and **** in the other" and then you'll find a way. I mowed lawns, washed windows and cars and tossed newspapers. I ALWAYS bought what I wanted. Kids today are spoiled.

Whenever I told my Dad that I "wished I had" anything, his standard reply would always be "wish in one hand and **** in the other" and then you'll find a way. I mowed lawns, washed windows and cars and tossed newspapers. I ALWAYS bought what I wanted. Kids today are spoiled.
He’s autistic and he knows it 🤣🤣

I personally wanted to extend the life of my normal shop vac, it's filter, and not change bads often. The cyclone is effective, and most of the rubbish goes to the barrel, which is dead easy and quick to empty.

Latest posts

Back