Why safety goggles are important ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any sort of table saw, and have no experience of them at all. But as I live in Switzerland I am familiar with SUVA as it is a part of Switzerland's unique (I think?) rather strange privatised/public/govt health system.

Here's a link (in English) if you're interested folks.

BTW, "SUVA" is pronounced "Sue" (like the girl's name) + "ver" (as in "inverted").

Edit for "senior moment" correction: Here's the missing link, sorry:

https://www.suva.ch/en/the-suva/about-us/suva

Steve Maskery":1ci0j87m said:
RogerS":1ci0j87m said:
I never do anything without some sort of guard. If the job can't be guarded, I look for another way to do it.

I totally agree,neither of us would fit in in American woodworking it appears.I have worked with a number of vintage British saws that weren't tilt arbor and which had the crown guard fitted to to a very sturdy arm attached to the back corner of the table.With a tilting arbor,which now seems universal,I suppose they have to mount on the riving knife or a separate plate behind the riving knife.Either way,they need to be in place unless you dress like a tree surgeon.Its good to learn that the damage in the original post wasn't more severe and it does no harm to remind us all to take care.

sunnybob":weat9nxr said:
I saw a safety quote a while ago that I thought was excellent.
Employer, talking to metal worker not using goggles; "Why are you not using the goggles i provided?
Employee; "boss, I've already lost the sight in one eye from a spark, what are the chances of getting caught again"?
Boss; "higher then the chances of me employing a blind welder". =D> =D>

But, strangely, only 4 days ago I was cutting ceramic floor tiles with a disc cutter, using mask, goggles and ear muffs, when a chip flew up, bounced off my mask, under the goggles and straight into my eye. It was big enough that I even saw it coming and felt the bounce on the mask.

I had to quickly pull all the gear off, hold my eye lid up so I didnt blink, get indoors and grab a piece of kitchen roll, twist it into a point, get to a mirror and flick the piece out. Not that I've had to do this before you understand :roll: :roll:

Now I'm on the hunt for better goggles.

That's why when I cut tiles, even with a controlled with a water cutter - I use a face shield AND goggles - after a similar incident.

C7LROid.jpg

Practical, cheap and recycled. That guy is ticking most of the boxes. I just hope he has made sure there is no gas still in that as I dont think his mask will stop shrapnel.
Regards
John

Orraloon":mrzyqtbj said:
Practical, cheap and recycled. That guy is ticking most of the boxes. I just hope he has made sure there is no gas still in that as I dont think his mask will stop shrapnel.
Regards
John

Thinking the same here, boom, and lights out.

Back