• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Why safety goggles are important ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have any sort of table saw, and have no experience of them at all. But as I live in Switzerland I am familiar with SUVA as it is a part of Switzerland's unique (I think?) rather strange privatised/public/govt health system.

Here's a link (in English) if you're interested folks.

BTW, "SUVA" is pronounced "Sue" (like the girl's name) + "ver" (as in "inverted").

Edit for "senior moment" correction: Here's the missing link, sorry:

https://www.suva.ch/en/the-suva/about-us/suva

worn thumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve Maskery":1ci0j87m said:
RogerS":1ci0j87m said:
I never do anything without some sort of guard. If the job can't be guarded, I look for another way to do it.

I totally agree,neither of us would fit in in American woodworking it appears.I have worked with a number of vintage British saws that weren't tilt arbor and which had the crown guard fitted to to a very sturdy arm attached to the back corner of the table.With a tilting arbor,which now seems universal,I suppose they have to mount on the riving knife or a separate plate behind the riving knife.Either way,they need to be in place unless you dress like a tree surgeon.Its good to learn that the damage in the original post wasn't more severe and it does no harm to remind us all to take care.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
sunnybob":weat9nxr said:
I saw a safety quote a while ago that I thought was excellent.
Employer, talking to metal worker not using goggles; "Why are you not using the goggles i provided?
Employee; "boss, I've already lost the sight in one eye from a spark, what are the chances of getting caught again"?
Boss; "higher then the chances of me employing a blind welder". =D> =D>

But, strangely, only 4 days ago I was cutting ceramic floor tiles with a disc cutter, using mask, goggles and ear muffs, when a chip flew up, bounced off my mask, under the goggles and straight into my eye. It was big enough that I even saw it coming and felt the bounce on the mask.

I had to quickly pull all the gear off, hold my eye lid up so I didnt blink, get indoors and grab a piece of kitchen roll, twist it into a point, get to a mirror and flick the piece out. Not that I've had to do this before you understand :roll: :roll:

Now I'm on the hunt for better goggles.

That's why when I cut tiles, even with a controlled with a water cutter - I use a face shield AND goggles - after a similar incident.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
C7LROid.jpg

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
Practical, cheap and recycled. That guy is ticking most of the boxes. I just hope he has made sure there is no gas still in that as I dont think his mask will stop shrapnel.
Regards
John

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Orraloon":mrzyqtbj said:
Practical, cheap and recycled. That guy is ticking most of the boxes. I just hope he has made sure there is no gas still in that as I dont think his mask will stop shrapnel.
Regards
John

Thinking the same here, boom, and lights out.

Latest posts