Why oh why...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafkaian

Established Member
Reaction score
...do some homeowners/builders/contractors leave their cigarette ends under the floorboards?

Just started sorting out another room and found countless resting under various planks.

I don't have anything against smokers and their addictive habit, but why do that? Is it a right of passage for some people or what? Do they think a cigarette tree will grow? And what about the initial fire hazard?

Cripes, you never know tomorrow I might even find some nub-ends with lipstick on :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I dunno, it aint that bad, if your broke and smoke finding them is a bonus, I have found old newspaper pages too, one was from around 1954 made a good read till the missus screamed at me to stop sitting on my rear and finish the job!!.

momo":1k12a6wk said:
... if your broke and smoke finding them is a bonus, ..
I suppose as a child of the HIV boom, the thought of puffing on someone else's DNA ridden cigarette ain't charmin' enough to appeal, apart from never smoking and never wanting to.

I suppose as a child of the HIV boom, the thought of puffing on someone else's DNA ridden cigarette ain't charmin' enough to appeal, apart from never smoking and never wanting to.

Although the chance of getting HIV from someone elses DNA in that way is vanishingly small (I will not say impossible because in biology not much is, but it is as near as makes no difference).

Steve.

StevieB":34bmr5iy said:

Although the chance of getting HIV from someone elses DNA in that way is vanishingly small (I will not say impossible because in biology not much is, but it is as near as makes no difference).

Steve.

I know Steve, but it's just the thought of it. And back to my original point. Why do people do it?

Weird really. Just seems strange to me

kafkaian":5hqbf8y8 said:
I don't have anything against smokers and their addictive habit, but why do that?

There are ashtrays on building sites. - From my personal experience, it seems to be the plumbers who leave the fag ends under the floors.

Fecn":3pzm05o2 said:
There are ashtrays on building sites. - From my personal experience, it seems to be the plumbers who leave the fag ends under the floors.
Well it takes me back to the early days of renting and the landlord had the electrics done in our flat. One sparky finished his fag and I saw him stub it out on bare floorboards then twist the remnants through the gap between two boards and onto the ceiling underneath.

I just looked at him in disbelief whilst he grinned back at me. Utterly bizarre behaviour if you ask me :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Sadly a lot of smokers do not consider fag ends as rubbish - consider the ones flicked out of car windows whist they are driving!!

That really annoys me.

Rod

It's not just fag ends...

... I was doing some work in a house from the 1930's recently and had to remove an original door.

The joiner had packed out the too-deeply cut hinge mortices with - bits of fag packet!

It was interesting to see that some techniques have not changed much over the years!

I wonder how many rough plans, job costings etc. have been worked out on the back of a fag packet over the years.

Sadly a lot of smokers do not consider fag ends as rubbish - consider the ones flicked out of car windows whist they are driving!!

Particularly if you're following on a motor bike!

Roy.

Digit":xa40i4r5 said:

Particularly if you're following on a motor bike!

Roy.

Well they might ban it [smoking whilst driving] completely soon, along with eating, CD changing and map reading!!! But then how many people still drive around Brum with a mobile phone slapped to their ear whilst negotiating bends at speed one-handed? Plenty.

Fag ends under the floorboards? Perhaps there are some would-be arsonists crying to get out of their humdrum straightjacketed closets?

It is becoming much harder these days to be a social outcast, I even have to stand outside in a howling wind to have a ciggie at work! :shock: As for throwing them out of the car window, nah, not unless I can guarantee to hit what I am aiming at. :lol:

kafkaian":2yqzmzwo said:
Well they might ban it [smoking whilst driving] completely soon

I can't see any problem at all with having a bunch of drivers who are feeling tense, nervous and jittery and struggling to concentrate because they're busy craving their next nicotine fix. I'm sure that won't contribute to accidents in the slightest.

Fecn":1wcnoijf said:
I can't see any problem at all with having a bunch of drivers who are feeling tense, nervous and jittery and struggling to concentrate because they're busy craving their next nicotine fix. I'm sure that won't contribute to accidents in the slightest.

I suspect I'm with you on that one except where children are concerned. Occasionally I still see parents with their windows closed and smoking in a car with children present. That should be banned IMO and aggressively targeted.

kafkaian":36wzdrte said:
Occasionally I still see parents with their windows closed and smoking in a car with children present. That should be banned IMO and aggressively targeted.

Fair point - but why does nobody seem concerned about the passive inhalation of vehicle fumes through the "fresh air" systems in their cars and other vehicles every time they use them :? :? Surely this must be just as harmful as passive smoking and all travellers in vehicles are subjected to it, but nobody ever seems to mention it :? :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I work in the field of vehicle emissions, and actually, they're so well regulated, that unless you get behind an old diesel truck which gives off a lot of particulates, there's not really much to worry about. The dilution when the exhausts exits in to the surrounding air mean that NOx (lung irritant) Hydrocarbons and CO levels are generally well below safe limits.

Paul Chapman":pun1h8tl said:
kafkaian":pun1h8tl said:
Occasionally I still see parents with their windows closed and smoking in a car with children present. That should be banned IMO and aggressively targeted.

Fair point - but why does nobody seem concerned about the passive inhalation of vehicle fumes through the "fresh air" systems in their cars and other vehicles every time they use them :? :? Surely this must be just as harmful as passive smoking and all travellers in vehicles are subjected to it, but nobody ever seems to mention it :? :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I do think about this, but it's a case of where legislation can and ought to make a difference then perhaps it should. Where it will screw the economy and not be in the interests of the greater good, then perhaps we shouldn't legislate until we are able to source alternatives. In other words, we still need to drive vehicles otherwise society will suffer, whereas protecting children against passive smoking in enclosed spaces is just about inconveniencing individuals.

Back