Why Now?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
markturner":32km2nel said:
Jacob, the gear freak point - can only speak for myself, but I would much rather use, hold and generally enjoy something made beautifully of the finest materials in preference to a bit of mass produced nonsense. I have top quality chisels for my bench work and some cheap Narex ones for site work, and while they both do the same job, I know which lifts my heart more when I go to the drawer to pick it up. Does that make me a gear freak? .....
Sounds very much like it! OK as long as it doesn't get in the way of your woodwork. :lol:
PS I wouldn't say any of my tools would "lift my heart" - they're just tools, but I live in hope that something I make might do it one day!

Jacob":1sb4trzh said:
markturner":1sb4trzh said:
Jacob, the gear freak point - can only speak for myself, but I would much rather use, hold and generally enjoy something made beautifully of the finest materials in preference to a bit of mass produced nonsense. I have top quality chisels for my bench work and some cheap Narex ones for site work, and while they both do the same job, I know which lifts my heart more when I go to the drawer to pick it up. Does that make me a gear freak? .....
Sounds very much like it! OK as long as it doesn't get in the way of your woodwork. :lol:
PS I wouldn't say any of my tools would "lift my heart" - they're just tools, but I live in hope that something I make might do it one day!

Your view that woodworking tools should be as cheap as possible has been stridently presented.

But I note that some of your possessions don't follow this rule - does your bike, banjo, computer (none of which are merely "good enough") bring you joy at all?

BugBear

bugbear":bwn13k5f said:
Your view that woodworking tools should be as cheap as possible has been stridently presented....
Stridently misrepresented more like.
What I've been saying, from the beginning, (pay attention BB :roll: ) is that cheap tools are often not as bad or useless as they are made out to be, and won't necessarily hold back anybodies woodworking potential. Cheap is fine, especially if it leads to buying more wood instead.
There has been a posh tool frenzy in recent years but it seems to be easing off, which is quite pleasing IMHO. People talking sensibly about buying Lidl carving chisels even! Phew! Stanley 78s, 80s brought back back in from the cold!

I see taking pleasure from the ownership and use of refined tools as a positive benefit without any drawbacks.

Not a contentious viewpoint, similar to art appreciation etc.

Jacob":me2xtae1 said:
People talking sensibly about buying Lidl carving chisels even! Phew!
Have you seen them? I may buy a set if I can figure out a way of retro fitting some plastic handles (For banging the snot out of) The blades are about 10mm thick (hammer)

Yebbut I'm not particularly recommending them - I'm just saying that if that's all you can afford just go for it and don't be put off by the naysayers.
Conversely - it can be instructive to ask the tooly enthusiasts to show what they have made with their complete set of blue spruce shiny things. It may not amount to much!

Ah but unfortunately skill cannot be bought, or else the toolies would all be turning out masterpieces :mrgreen:

Modernist":ancuzd9p said:
I see taking pleasure from the ownership and use of refined tools as a positive benefit without any drawbacks.

Not a contentious viewpoint, similar to art appreciation etc.
Well, just one drawback perhaps - horribly expensive (hasn't always stopped me though!).
Such tools are a delight to own and use and if their current availability is the result of so-called 'gear freaks' then so be it and I'm very grateful to them!

Not all cheap tools are bad though. 25+ years ago, I got a lot of Footprint stuff upon the recommendation of my first woodwork mentor. Many of the chisels, planes and saws are with me still and continue to give great service.

Back