Why is my Thicknesser Giving this finish???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Pallet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
First time on here -

Wonder if anyone could help me, I have a Titan Planer / Thicknesser, Ive only used for a couple months a handful of times.
But the finish I'm getting is terrible - Please see the picture.
I'm trying to clean up some old fence wood, but at this rate, it will be good for the fire.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_165025.jpg
    IMG_20200417_165025.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 353
I think you may have summed it up yourself - old fence wood. It's not possible to work with timber that was originally considered suitable only for fencing. It's like attempting to make fine furniture from salvaged floor joists, I'm afraid it's doomed to failure unless you are content to call it rustic or character material.

Yep as above
Poor extraction
Poor wood
Dull blades

Two of those are more easily solved than the other one

Aidan

In addition to what has been said, feed direction comes into play. Try turn the wood around and feed from the other direction. Might be a touch better or get worse. The wood is soft and a little decayed making it harder to play with.

Pete

The top tight picture is what I get if the extraction bungs up. The chips cant clear and get chewed back into the wood.

Thank you for your advice,
A few good suggestions to improve the finish.

I've ordered new blades, I'll improve extraction.
Ill try different woods and see how I go.

Thanks again

Looks like the timber is wet? Extraction And sharp knives makes a massive difference to the finish.

Chris_Pallet":20ib4xr8 said:
Thank you for your advice,
A few good suggestions to improve the finish.

I've ordered new blades, I'll improve extraction.
Ill try different woods and see how I go.

Thanks again
Have you considered just sharpening those ones? They probably don't come great from the factory in the first place.

Before you do anything at all to the machine, pass some proper wood through it. If the same thing happens, then it's the machine's fault. If, as I suspect, the decent wood planes up OK, then it's just the crappy unusable fencing timber which is at fault. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Thank you all for your input, just to update you.
I sharpened the blades
Improved extraction
Tried different wood.
The main problem is the rubbish wood.
As a nice bit of hard wood comes out very smooth with a great finish.
So the fence wood will no be made into rustic raised beds which I have attached a picture to show.
Have a great day

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_182909_194.jpg
    IMG_20200317_182909_194.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
TBH the finish you had looked fine to me -fairly typical of the finish one would expect from that timber

Latest posts

Back