Why is cyclone extractor choice so limited here in England?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking of buying one of these for sometime now, but the only options I have found here in the UK are.

1) Purchase a ready made one from Axminster
2) build my own

In the US, you have JET, Grizzly, Bayleigh, Oneida ...

If I had a machine shop here in the UK, I'd be tempted to start manufacturing my own units as I get the impression there is an opening for another brand.

I think the problem is entirely down to market size. We are a small country with few woodworkers and those who do want a cyclone only buy one once. They are not consumables. And as we woodworkers are a notoriously tight bunch, and I include myself in that, many of us are more inclined to make a separator "for next to nothing" than to buy one.
When I made my Thein-style separator I had change out of a tenner.

Steve Maskery":tmwifrbu said:
I think the problem is entirely down to market size. We are a small country with few woodworkers and those who do want a cyclone only buy one once. They are not consumables. And as we woodworkers are a notoriously tight bunch, and I include myself in that, many of us are more inclined to make a separator "for next to nothing" than to buy one.
When I made my Thein-style separator I had change out of a tenner.

Ok, I understand the possible market economics issue, but will a home made unit provide the same level of dust filtration you get with a commercial one?

Ring":31nnhlp6 said:
http://www.toolovation.co.uk/category_s/98.htm

Any good ?

That company just sells the plastic cyclones to make your own. I called them yesterday regarding an Oneida cyclone extractor, but was told they could get me one, but it would be shipped over from the US just for me. Made me think that I'd be better off buying one direct from the US and cutting out the middleman.

there was a company shipping them in from France, on eBay I think. Not sure if it is still around. I looked, but they didnt do a 4" one so I didnt go any further. Pricing was pretty good IIRC.

marcros":r8imz9oh said:
there was a company shipping them in from France, on eBay I think. Not sure if it is still around. I looked, but they didnt do a 4" one so I didnt go any further. Pricing was pretty good IIRC.

I got one of those French ones recently, no problems at all £35.90 inc. delivery, not 4" though.

This is my setup bought off ebay 125mm inlet, 150mm link to the extractor and I think 200mm link to the dropbox. adapted my fan off a bag extractor.

Works well if you monitor the dropbox.

Build your own, there were 2 million 'blanks' dumped along the M4 yesterday.

Ive been researching Bill Pentz's cyclone design for a good while .
theirs a fella on this side of the water that done a fantastic cyclone build WIP
" ondablade " is the guys handle.
The most difficult part to make is the impeller ,most don't chance it because of centrifugal forces damaging their motor
Theirs a fella on the Canadian woodworking forum has done this ,look for Matt Matt .
Im very frugal , but i wont cheap out with my lungs
If there was a European source of impellers ,I could then be sure of what size motor I'd be looking for
and also the size of the cone in relation to the impeller .
I don't know if theirs any alterations to be made with cone /baffle sizing as were on 50hz ? .

Another reason for the lack of cyclones being made ,could be the choice of metal for the impeller
Not sure if its American H & S or European issues
But theirs talk about the chance of metal being sucked in and striking the impeller possibly causing a fire .
Hence (correct me if im wrong ) the use of aluminum impellers with the Axminister cyclones .
But now it seems that the opinion has changed ? because of a possible thermite reaction with aluminum
This probably has to do with the static that builds up, if you dont ground your runs
I guess that this occurrence is most likely relating to massive DC systems though.
H&S is getting stricter but would they recognize an small aluminum impeller as a danger
It doesn't matter to me as im a hobbyist and will be using these machines on my own
in conjunction with a VFD .
Hoping for some impeller supplier to come along in the future .
Tomas

I got one of those £30 ebay ones for my shop vac, had lots of fun fixing it up and it saves cleaning the filter as much. It would be good to build a bigger one like the OP wants. OH for a bigger shop. :roll:

I gave Axminster a call to inquire about the JET cyclone system, but was told they will not be stocking it. They told me CE regulations was the most probable reason for not doing so.

I did a search and found the far eastern company that produce the exact same unit for Axminster.

flanajb":1x291bu0 said:
I gave Axminster a call to inquire about the JET cyclone system, but was told they will not be stocking it. They told me CE regulations was the most probable reason for not doing so.

I did a search and found the far eastern company that produce the exact same unit for Axminster.

Hi flanajb - the Jet cyclones will be stocked and available in the UK at some point in March/April

Full pricing is anticipated to be

JDC1.5 : £929.29 ex vat
JDC-2 : £1243.21 ex vat
JDC-3 415v : £1566.65 ex vat

Remote control options on the JDC-2 and JDC-3 only.

For a list of all retailers if you want to see one in the flesh when they are in, please visit www.brimarc.com, then check with your local stockist.

Cheers, Nick

Jetman":2s81ehl2 said:
flanajb":2s81ehl2 said:

Hi flanajb - the Jet cyclones will be stocked and available in the UK at some point in March/April

Full pricing is anticipated to be

JDC1.5 : £929.29 ex vat
JDC-2 : £1243.21 ex vat
JDC-3 415v : £1566.65 ex vat

Remote control options on the JDC-2 and JDC-3 only.

For a list of all retailers if you want to see one in the flesh when they are in, please visit http://www.brimarc.com, then check with your local stockist.

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick,

That's great news!

Maybe the Brimarc representative I spoke with was unaware of this.

I will keep an eye out.

ps - will you be offering a discount to ukworkshop forum members ;-)

Well it wouldn't be the first time 8) - always happy to help - best bet is try and attend a show or demo day though to see things in the flesh.

I'm hoping we will have these on display and running at the Newark WW show in mid March

Jetman":2y27hxhu said:

Well it wouldn't be the first time 8) - always happy to help - best bet is try and attend a show or demo day though to see things in the flesh.

I'm hoping we will have these on display and running at the Newark WW show in mid March

Thanks. Being down in the depths of Dorset Newark is quite a drive. I was hoping you might be attending the Yandles show in April, but it doesn't look like JET are attending?

Back