Why don’t they sell fixed base routers in UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah , except ELu were Swiss, I believe. I have an Elu motor mounted in my old overhead router - an old Trend product I believe. It came with a spare base so you could run it as a handheld. A bit like the router in your previous post - except it had painted wooden handles!
ELU was the company of Eugen Lutz, Mühlacker, Germany. Your overhead motor could well have been a MOF11.

ELU was the company of Eugen Lutz, Mühlacker, Germany. Your overhead motor could well have been a MOF11.
I sit ,corrected. This is the new fact that I have learnt for today. :) You are right on both counts the router motor is a Mof11. I've just had a look at it in the workshop. I also have an Elu biscuit-jointer of much later vintage ,however. Around the time they were taken over by Black+Decker

The Bosch mentioned previously is excellent. I still have an older model too, also with both fixed and plunge bases. I do use both bases regularly.

Smaller than you want but The Festool OFK 700 and 500 are fixed base as are quite a few trim routers. But there is no significant benefit to having a fixed base big router and many advantages to having a plunge base.
My Elu has an adapter that changes the plunge base into a fixed base by use of a screwed rod, this would probably be trivial to make or get made.

Lamello make a very nice fixed base router - the Profila. Not sure you will find it in the UK but it is available from German websites. Build quality is superb but set aside lots of £££. :rolleyes:

That looks to be similar to the OFK 700 I mentioned but it’s about ⅓rd to ¼ the power he is looking for
Not quite sure what the OP wants. He seems to need a trimming router but also one that will fit in a router table. They are of course different beasts. For general work like trimming I would suggest the Festool MFK 700. The adjustable micro wheel gives adjustments in fractions of a mm - very useful for inlaying work. For a table I think fixed base routers are popular in the US as they fit their router lift products like Incra and Jessem. Dieter Schmid in Germany markets one router for the European market for the Incra lift - the AEG 1400 . Nobody wants to have to swap a router out for trimming so most of us will end up with two routers or more. I have a Makita 1400 watt mounted in my router table and find it does 90% of what I need to do. Waiting for the Lottery to invest in a Jessem set up. ;)

I briefly considered the AEG 1400 for my router table, but decided to buy the AUKTools Router with the remote speed control. I didn't want a dual-use router since I already had two plunge routers and a trim router. The AUKTools router fits perfectly in my Incra Mast-R-Lift II and was about the same price as the AEG; however, the AUKTools router has more power than the AEG.

Latest posts

Back