Why don’t they sell fixed base routers in UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC800

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here so greetings all ✋🏻

I’ve spent all morning going mad from trying to find a fixed base router. The only options available are 120V models, compact units or plunge. I’m after something 2amps 240V and whilst there has been plenty of options to research none of them appear to be available in the UK.

I feel like I’m probably missing something so can someone let me know whats going on?

I want to use it for straight edges and in a table for guitar bodies and figured a fixed base was the way to go… However I am open to whatever recommendations and advice is on offer.

Thanks in advance

They can be found. My mate has an American style Bosch one, the base is adjustable by screwing it round.
They are more for setting up for one task that you need to do lots of. More for industrial applications.

I could be wrong but they might be called pattern routers.

Ollie

Amazon has some fixed base routers Metobo, DeWalt and Bosch. Looks like the other alternative is a router body where you can attach different basses.

Some of them are not 240V but if you are adamant that is what you want just buy a transformer.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a safety issue. I would almost guarantee there is old literature with instructions on plunging a fixed based router in to start a cut.

I rarely use a router, but do use them for what you're saying and here in the states, finding a fixed router wasn't a problem. You may want to get on ebay uk and try to find one from a foreign source. Guitar routering with a template bit is not so demanding in terms of runout or quality, it's just blasting off material.

My first router was a fixed base Black and Decker industrial one . I soon traded it in for a plunge base - much more versatile . MARK B does have a valid a point. Many of the plunge ones can be locked in place quite firmly. It is just a different way of looking at things.
It is a bit along the lines of what my son said to me when we were contemplating buying an off-grid property, a few years back "Why don't you just buy one connected to the grid and turn the power off?" Ah, the wisdom of youth!

Realistically the options for fixed base routers that can accept 1/2" bits are mostly limited to the Bosch GOF1600CE but that one is pretty pricey if you can find any in stock. Other makes/models only occasionally appear on the second hand market so you could be waiting a while.

If you really want one though some of the makes/models to look out for that I'm aware of include Draper 45368 (I had one of these - superb machine), Draper 53113 (replaced the 45368, both could be bought with both types of bases), Hitachi did a model in the UK once (M12VC I think - I have one but it’s in storage), and even B&Q sold one under their power tool range. There may be others but like it’s already been said plunge routers seems to be the norm in this country.

They can be found. My mate has an American style Bosch one, the base is adjustable by screwing it round.
They are more for setting up for one task that you need to do lots of. More for industrial applications.

I could be wrong but they might be called pattern routers.

Ollie
UK woodworking Youtuber Matt Estlea might have something about that.

Fixed base routers are perfect for edge machining. D_W has put his finger on the safety issue. If a fixed base router is used to crowd a rotating bit on to timber it will be necessary release the locking mechanism between base and motor unit. The result is the motor unit could come free with possible serious consequences to the user.

I made a few guitars using the big plunge Triton router in a table with a phenolic router plate in a homemade cabinet. (Plate like this, though mine was Trend: UJK 10mm Phenolic Router Table Insert Plate)

I never felt like I needed a fixed base unit. The router was incredibly stable and easy to adjust. I don't see how a plunge unit can't do exactly what you need and provide more functionality.

These days I'll be using hand tools only as I hate routers, but the Triton in a table never gave me any problems. HTH

If the little Makita and clone trim routers are anything to go by, the height adjustment on fixed base machines can by quite clunky and less accurate than pre-setting depth on a plunge router. I wouldn't even assume that they are more precise in their vertical alignment either as that wasn't great on the trim routers.
They are probably unpopular here simply because we have better options.

Seems like quite a few on eBay in England. Must sell in stores somewhere.

Attachments

• 25E4D46D-9CC7-4153-A577-66B8E309361C.png
    25E4D46D-9CC7-4153-A577-66B8E309361C.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks so much for all the good points and recommendations. You've made my wasting a full morning going round in circles amount to something of progress.

I have the Makita compact which has been a real workhorse for the smaller projects. To correct my typo above.. the ‘12amp’ routers have remained unexplored territory until now and as with all things unfamiliar it can be quite a process trawling through all the options and recommendations.

It was watching buying guides on youtube that left me with the impression both plunged as fixed were necessary but as per your opinions that’s obviously not the case and explains why there are so few fixed base options for domestic use. Asides from there being no shortage of opinions stating you need a fixed base for tables, the only other advantage I could see is the fixed base are supposed to be less cumbersome for doing edges.

From past lessons learned I usually avoid the lower budget options but am strongly tempted to get a Metabo and see how it goes as they seem to make some decent stuff. My only reservation is that I heard their versions of the Hitachi models are not the same build quality. If anyone has any further thoughts on this I’d be interested to hear, but regardless the process has been made simpler now I can ditch the idea of fixed base being a necessity. So thanks again for all the good points made and things to consider.

As I remember they were 2000W- good for routing the housings in stair strings. Not a mass market or amateur tool. But Elu in Germany invented the plunge design of router post war, and as the market expanded that became the norm.

As I remember they were 2000W- good for routing the housings in stair strings. Not a mass market or amateur tool. But Elu in Germany invented the plunge design of router post war, and as the market expanded that became the norm.
Ah , except ELu were Swiss, I believe. I have an Elu motor mounted in my old overhead router - an old Trend product I believe. It came with a spare base so you could run it as a handheld. A bit like the router in your previous post - except it had painted wooden handles!

Metabo and Hitachi were both bought by the same private equity company a few years ago and since then there have been some name changes and some crossover between their product ranges.
Old Metabo were very well made tools. Nowadays, they are more variable as a lot are made overseas. Metabo don't focus on woodworking tools but they did make a router years ago that had a dial indicator for fine depth setting. I've never used one but I would buy to try if I saw one secondhand because their tools of that vintage were excellent.

Hitachi made quality tools including routers and they were popular and I think well regarded. The only one I've personally used was one of those older mainstream models. It was OK but not as refined as I would like. It was on a par with DeWalt and Makita of the same age.

I believe the plunge router is taking off more in the US now, and we are seeing a mix of routers available here with interchangeable bodies giving both options but I not sure what I can do with a fixed base held held router that I can not do with a plunge one.

The advantages of round bodied routers in router lifts as opposed to plunge routers are simple, easier cutter changes from above the table and your investment goes into motor power rather than body components not required when slung upside down.

The closest I have to a fixed base router for bench work is a small trimming router used with a bearing guided cutter for trimming veneer or laminate back to the substrate.

Cheers

Peter

Back