Why do you do it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you do it?

• Love of wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Owning/collecting/using Tools

• DIY/home improvement

• Inspired by TV shows

• Necessity

• Desire to make own furniture

• Desire to turn wood

• Employment

• Total voters
I started when i moved to where i live now. I am in the building trade so i believe i am fairly handy. I do most things myself, sometimes due to not being able to get someone in to do them for me in time or for a reasonable price. Anyway...yeah i was watching New Yankee workshop and was amazed by Norm. So that kind of started me off.
I wanted a radiator cabinet for a room i had just decorated, B&Q had just the item. It was flat packed and when i saw the contents i knew it would be no trouble to make a copy as i need a few more around the house. So when time allowed i bought the materials and then realised by the time i had bought everything i needed it would have been as cheap to buy another flat packed item from B&Q. Although i honestly believe that the one i made is superior as it at least has some form of joints and is made to a certain size.
An ongoing project is the Shed/Workshop. Its large enough for me.....just. I tend to do a lot of work in the open air if the weather is favorable anyway.
My shed window frame needed replacing with a stronger item so that was next and once again i was pleased with the outcome.
I also replaced the door and frame, taking time to add real locks while i was doing it.
Today i made a stand for my bandsaw so as i could roll it into position without breaking my back, again i am chuffed with my efforts.
I will never make it as a carpenter but it doesn't matter. What does matter is that i enjoy it and it gives me great satisfaction.
I have done many other jobs too around the house and being able to tell someone that "i did it myself" and to see they are impressed too is a further bonus.

Back