Why do we do it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do we all do the projects and restorations we do ?
I am not quite sure why I do it, so would like to hear from others.
This often involves LOTS of time, effort and money - so what is the driving force ?
What is the "satisfaction" ghat drives this ?

This is quite an easy one for me - in my early teens I had virtually no money other than from 2 paper rounds and a p/t job on the local market. never had enough cash so I started doing odd jobs for neighbors and friends etc . I made do with cheap inferior tools or those abandoned in skips or jumble sales . And it’s never gone away. A few years back I was struggling mentally and with the help of my councillor I set up my workshop. I’ve always strived to do a better job with any project I’ve taken on and often would beat myself up over the smallest mistake. but with no formal training in woodworking I now accept that I’m not perfect and probably never will be . As long as nothing jumps out or is blatantly obvious that it’s a mistake I’ve learned to live with it -character-sympathetic repair- honest repair etc . I’m amazed though as often the customer or friend I’ve made a project for can’t see the mistake unless I point it out . I also can’t stand to see decent timber skipped or put onto a bonfire and wasted so I’ll reclaim it with permission of the owner and use it for something else. I’m 57 now and can’t pass a skip without giving it a cursory glance for any useable timber or steel.😃😃

I can make things that are better than I can afford to buy.
Or,
If I spend as much as it will cost to buy X, I can have it made from solid timber, or I can afford to buy the tool that I'll need to do the job and will benefit from that in the future.
Or,
That's rubbish - I could do better than that myself...
Or,
Because that's what dad would have done and it rubbed off at a young age
Or,
Because solving problems and learning how to do new stuff is very satisfying
Or,
Because it means more when you've spent the time and effort to make it yourself
Or,
I want something custom that I can't buy
Or,
I just enjoy the process and developing a skill
Or,
The sound, feel and smell of it
Or,
It's a way to be (even just a little bit) creative

Pick any or all of the above...

Its human nature to make stuff, to try and improve on the last thing you made.
Similarly to @Bingy man I have always made and fixed things since I was a little kid, its just normal for me and being mostly skint you just have to make or fix stuff.
For me I like to see tangible results, I have had jobs where you basically do paperwork or repetative tasks for no obvious reason, there is no satisfaction in that, at least for me.
Now I can make some furniture or joinery and see the finished thing delivered to the client, or repair some old sash windows from scruffy to like new condition, then I can see I have done something real.
Its also problem solving and creativity, to take something from an idea to a drawing to a real functional item is rewarding.

No money in it though !

Ollie

Last edited:
I firmly believe that the world in general is made up of those who can create or adapt to their surroundings and can build useful items with the materials that are to hand . Our ancestors were doing it thousands of years ago and I can’t help but admire what they achieved without the benefits of modern technology and machines that we have at our disposal. then there are those that desire items to please or to make their lives easier and we I suppose make this happen, we hopefully pass on our knowledge and understanding to others and the circle continues. As per a previous post - problem solving is where we excel . An old boy on my allotment many years ago told me that it’s not the mistakes we make that define us but how we set about making it right. So many times I’ve heard the phrase “ that will do “ or “ it’s not possible- it can’t be done “ but with a little effort and a desire to succeed it most certainly can .

I (think I) get more satisfaction from repairs than from making from scratch?
A 'new' (to me) No 4 plane, restored and sharp brings a smile to my face.
A cry from SWMBO, we need a set of drawers and I'm good. I like to see
a finished article, but the 'bits that didn't work' jump out at me? "Could do better".

A particular fascination for me, jigs and 'aids' to woodworking?
Finally, being retired, I can't sit still for days on end, I need to be 'doing', so the workshop is an ideal outlet, even if it's only to clean the floor or tidy an area.

For me it’s a way to unwind. I am not interested in selling anything I just enjoy the opportunity to focus on something and see it come to life.

It’s purely a hobby for me and I never work of plans, that’s what I do for a day job.

Plus it gives me an opportunity to get out of the house.

Its the human urge to create. Where is the joy in just clicking a button and having something delivered or going to Ikea. If it were not for the lines on the floor I would never find my way out again. I guess when I started with my first house it was also to save money but I enjoyed doing it. Cost of wood these days there is no savings you have to be doing it for love. The feeling you get standing back looking at the finished item just can't be bought.
Regards
John

1. It's a challenge. Often, if asked by a stranger away from the workshop what I did, I would say 'I solve (practical) problems'. That seemed to keep them on their toes. A trouble is that if you say 'woodwork', they often seem to think of that as something nice, cosy & undemanding - the sort of thing that teddy bears might do. No thrust.

2. It can be productive of things that are useful. Need a window? Need a chair?

3. It's a way of bringing ideas into real-world form - of 'proving' them, if you like.

I enjoy seeing a project that goes from a design on paper drawn at full scale becoming a real life object in 3D, especially if it's something I have designed myself, can't think of anything more satisfying than having an idea come into reality and then it becomes a practical useable object for potentially centuries if it's an heirloom piece.

For me it's a mental health and physical health thing. Also, without getting too dark about it, life is ultimately meaningless and we need something to focus our mind on until we die, otherwise we would most likely go mad, or worse. For some, it's racing bikes or cars, for others, its sport, career, travel etc... they're all just distractions. But, I think when it comes to creative pursuits, more value can be found than simple distraction. And that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
For me, it's a way of getting a much better quality piece of equipment at a reasonable price. I don't do the full restoration, just get the tool into functioning condition for use.
I love old cast iron machines. simple design and they last forever. I get a lot of pleasure getting them working well and even more pleasure using them.

Simple for me - I'm never happier than when I'm in my workshop, focused on bringing something to life. The transferable skills gained just accumulate. My day job (which I also enjoy) is spent in front of a screen, so something physical gives balance. In a sentence, it's good for the soul.

In a world that is full of throw away rubbish - isn't it good to produce something of value.
My wife, has always said - produce something that is usefull and beautiful.
In the past, things were built to last - today they are built to be replaced, it keeps the "economy" going.
I love re-building good machines - they lasted SO long. "Do it right, do it once"
The trouble today, is that people just do not think
An interesting aspect of machine restoration, for me, has been that you have to "get into the mind" of the person who designed it.
If I can't buy ( or afford ) to get the quality I want - I gain so much pleasure from designing and building my own.

I believe that creativity is a profound aspect of human life. When I am making or resolving the details of a project its when I feel most at peace.
The last 20 years of my career I taught D&T to profoundly disabled young people, with a wide rang of intellectual abilities. There was desire to create in so many of them, the delight and satisfaction they got from having an idea and putting it into practice, with whatever assistance was necessary, was a joy to be part of. Off course for some it was anathema, just as it is in the wider population.
I was even paid to do it!!
Martin

Back