Why do tape measures always go the wrong way?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the OP fellas, I've tried the visa versa tapes but they just don't last very long if in daily use, compared to say a fatmax

Man youre rough on tape measures. I have some over 20 years old, which I dont use now but have had a LOT of use.

this vice versa is a big strong beast, cant see me breaking this one, it might get left to my son in my will.

I understand the problem, and have grappled with tape vs pencil in the same hand a few times. But surely the problem is because as a rule you measure from left to right? Can't see a 'left-handed' tape being any help with this to be honest. A 'left-handed' tape would sort of be useful when measuring from right to left (with the tape in your left hand) but you can do this quite happily with a normal tape, it's just that the numbers are upside down. Unless you really can't read numbers and a scale upside down? Surely the vice-versa is just a little bit of a gimmick, no?

A gimmick? Not for me, I have been using them for a long time now and love them. Perhaps it's just me, but I have made mistakes looking at numbers upside down.
Horses for courses.

Class 1 etc is quite important, as tape measures are notoriously inaccurate. Try yours against a steel rule sometime! So if you don't have a class 1, either use the same one each time of use a story stick as mentioned.

Back