Why do scroll saws break.... REPEATEDLY?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piginhat

Reaction score
Hi, I have been the unfortunate recipient of repeated scroll saw break downs with brand new machines after minimal use!

Note I have bolted each machine to my workbench, using vibration absorbing mat between machine and bench, have cut nothing thicker than 20mm and allow the blade to work without pushing wood hard into blade.

So, here I go:

Scheppach after 2 days use the pin blade holder sheared off and shot across the workshop (returned, refund)

Scheppach after 31 days the motor packed up (out of parts, out of stock, refund)

Axminster Trade after 1 day cast rear support of table broke ( returned for replacement)

Axminster Trade on receipt table insert wedged in solid unable to remove (returned, refund)

Proxxon after I weeks use spring at back broke (returned, replaced)

Proxxon after 1 day super quiet motor clanging, manually moving flyweight makes noise in motor (water to hear from both supplier and proxxon)

I have a second proxxon used this after for first time, super quiet, super machine....but for how long?

So am I just the most unlucky SOB or is it inherent that th

Because all those scroll saws are JUNK. Even Axminster, which I had big hopes for but after 2 years it´s nothing but disaster!

So what tool is considered not junk to be worth getting....to last?
Well, Hegner are always quoted as the Rolls Royce of scroll saws (or rather Rolls Royce are the Hegner of cars)... I have a Hegner multicut 2 that's been excellent but doesn't get used much any more. PM me if you're interested.

" I have a Hegner multicut 2 that's been excellent but doesn't get used much any more. PM me if you're interested."
I would like to know what you are offering Deadeye. I will PM when I found out how. Unless you PM me first ?
Don W

Great! I was just about to recommend Hegner. I have had one borrowed while I had my Axminster in for a repair and I can tell that saw is built like a tank!

From many of the more recent threads, it does appear that there has been a very distinct and fairly dramatic drop in the quality of components being used in many scroll saws currently available. I think it would be wise to try and emphasize for those looking to get saws that are considered to be be a step above the run of the mill cheapies, that they try to find either second hand or new old stock of properly badged Excalibur or Pegas machines, if they are after the tilting table type..

There is a fantastic thread on Scroll Saw Village about what has actually happened regarding this rather excellent saw and can be seen below:

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/articles/resources/excalibur-scroll-saw-what-happened-r101/

for me the most telling part of the discussion is as follows:
" Summary, The only original Excalibur saws are now branded either King Industrial (U.S.) or Excelsior (Canada). At this time, there is no original design 21” available in the U.S. The Seyco and the JPW (Jet)saws are designed after the Excalibur saws with proprietary differences. So, the King Industrial/Excelsior saws are the original design with a different name and the saw branded Excalibur is a different saw with the original name. The many manufacturing nuances and extreme tolerances make these saws virtually impossible to copy and have them function as they were originally designed."

It makes me woner if there has been a "metrification" of the design by the Taiwanese manufacturer that has not quite gone according to plan and has resulted in these problems being experienced by the recent Jet and Axi models

hth

I tried:

2 Scheppachsaws, £129 and £199 respectively. As I stated above one the blade holder sheared off, the other the motor packed up. The latter the supplier had no spare parts or replacements in stock.

2 Axminster Trade 460ss both £519.
One the rear table support mount broke probably due to poor casting. The second the table insert had been wedged in by manufacturers and could not be removed.

3 Proxxon DS460 all at £400. One the arm spring broke after a week and machine replaced, but Proxxon are sending spares. Second the motor is making a loud clanging after only a few days use. Have sought refund. Third currently still in out of the box yesterday....time will tell.

1 Ferm send back immediately as awkward blade replacement and did not like machine.

1 record, same as Ferm.

So far I must say while it works the Proxxon is a beautiful machine and super quiet, but have lost confidence now.

I've order a £900 Hegner only because the £1200 is out of stock and I'm impatient!

after joining this forum, reading the review abovea andhearing from my pattern supplier that Hegner are the machine to have.....I'm praying my scroll saw woes will finally be over!

Update:

Proxxon in Germany emailed me after viewing video of noise and made a few suggestions that did nothing to help.

But as I had already pointed out to suppliers the flyweight was making the noise as it had more movement than the quiet machine.

So I decided to take all the covers off and got access and found a tiny screw on the flyweight hub....that was loose!

Tightened it.....super quiet machine 😲

How you broken proxxon.
I have DSHe in 2010-14 they are crude not much funn with work. But they work even with hight abuse.
I have big problem with excalibur EX-30 buy in 2012 or 13. Usual damage is broken motor cam. I have 3 broken cams, 1 engine replacment, 1 driver replacement. And after that excessive vibration.

From many of the more recent threads, it does appear that there has been a very distinct and fairly dramatic drop in the quality of components being used in many scroll saws currently available. I think it would be wise to try and emphasize for those looking to get saws that are considered to be be a step above the run of the mill cheapies, that they try to find either second hand or new old stock of properly badged Excalibur or Pegas machines, if they are after the tilting table type..

There is a fantastic thread on Scroll Saw Village about what has actually happened regarding this rather excellent saw and can be seen below:

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/articles/resources/excalibur-scroll-saw-what-happened-r101/

for me the most telling part of the discussion is as follows:
" Summary, The only original Excalibur saws are now branded either King Industrial (U.S.) or Excelsior (Canada). At this time, there is no original design 21” available in the U.S. The Seyco and the JPW (Jet)saws are designed after the Excalibur saws with proprietary differences. So, the King Industrial/Excelsior saws are the original design with a different name and the saw branded Excalibur is a different saw with the original name. The many manufacturing nuances and extreme tolerances make these saws virtually impossible to copy and have them function as they were originally designed."

It makes me woner if there has been a "metrification" of the design by the Taiwanese manufacturer that has not quite gone according to plan and has resulted in these problems being experienced by the recent Jet and Axi models

hth
Thanks VERY much for that link/info Droogs. I've saved it. It may well explain why my Pegas/Excalibur (bought in 2015) has been perfectly trouble free whilst other apparently identical machines (to look at anyway) have been causing some people so much trouble. So I'm really glad I bought what I did (with hindsight/your input!) though I must admit that when I first heard about the Axi version and it's quite a bit lower price than I paid I was quite miffed.

Cheers mate

Back