why do router tables???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
maybe its a dumb question but why do all the router tables i see
either sold or designed in magazines have the router so near the front of the table, and a very deep back??

does not seem to make too much sense, surely this makes it difficult to work on wide boards???

paul :?

Paul,

Good question, I don't know the full answer. Some of the home made tables have lots of space behind the cutter to allow the use of long (deep?) micro adjustable fences. The Incra is one I have seen used in this setup.

I have an old Trend table that I use and had to make a false top to allow the panel raising bit to be used, I extended the front of the table to give more support for the panels.

When the tuit for a self build table turns up, I will be placing the router further back than on many tables I have seen.

I decided to set mine well back when I constructed my table as I think I wold need more room in front of the cutter than behind.
thetop2nh.jpg

Paul,

On some router tables you can reverse the fence assembly so you can use that wider space on the table to, er well......... use wider stock with more table support. :)

I made my third router table so that I could fit the Incra Fence either at one end of the table for short / wide pieces or across the back for routing long pieces.

See my gallery

I made mine just big enough to get a home made fence at the back, and 3" wide workpiece and a feather board at the front. That puts the cutter bang in the centre of a 14" x 18" table. I like things to be symmetrical. I guess if I had to rout an edge or groove on a long wide board I would use my freehand router the "right way up".

i understand the people who use incra fences want more space,
but for the rest who knows.

i bought that ryobi package and it is a nice table, sort of.
i found that the fence is difficult to keep tight, and by god does
the dust get into the strangest places. also the switch gear and
bit replacement are frankly bad design.

back to design, surely since most work is done on edges, support
must be the guiding plan i guess, so why not have the cutter nearer
the centre. i only ask!!!!!!!!!! :?

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back