Why do I keep bending nails?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete
what it boils down to is you have to let yourself get used to your hammer before you can get the best out of it.
Do yourself a favour and take your time knocking the nails in, as someone said earlier let the hammer do the work. By the time you shed is built you should be getting comfortable with it.

Drew

I've always rubbed the hammer head on a brick or the concrete path if outside.
Tapping the point of the nail helps it cut into the wood instead of splitting it.
Far too many people hold the hammer half way down the shaft instead of at the end to get the swing the hammer is designed for.
I used to hold the hammer wrong and always bent the nails then finally held the hammer where it should be held for a good swing and bent nails became a thing of the past (almost)

Thanks for all the comments I'll have a go at putting the sensible ones into practice at the weekend - assuming this blinking cold I've got that's keeping me away from work doesn't stop me...

Tony - the Star Trek comment made me feel much better, even though laughing hurts my throat :)

Thanks for not laughing too much !

Pete

I tried the circular motion idea and that helped a lot. Roughing the hammer face with sandpaper also helps although requires a bit of effort with a very hard face. Holding the right end of the hammer helps, as does hitting the right end of the nail... :wink:

I was feeling particularly tired last night and caught a bit of DIY SOS on BBC1 (I'm sorry, OK?) where they made a lot out of one of their people having this futuristic looking hammer.

Thanks for the help,

Pete

Back