Why can't I paint ceilings!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always done all my own decorating and like to think that I am quite good at it but for the life of me I can't paint ceilings!

No matter how many coats I give them I always seem to end up with some roller marks. I always use good quality rollers and paint, I'm fine doing walls it's just ceilings.

I think the problem could be that I roll the paint too much, I always try to put it on a bit thicker but there always seems to be a patch that is not right and I end up doing it all again (like my living room tomorrow :( ).

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks, Doug

For years I did my own decorating and mostly still do but for one part of the house - the stairwell which needs the right length ladders and willingness to work at height. Both of these I no longer have!

So I got in a pro to do these bits - he used twice the paint I thought he would and looks fine.

So at a guess you are rolling the paint to thinly and therefore leaving roller marks.

Recently done a couple of ceilings in rooms and the walls & ceiling in the bathroom - all white.

I use dulux emulsion. I always water it down a little but no more than 10%.

I gave our living room 3 coats this time somewhat because we had a little leak earlier in the year, but partly because my previous attempts were also patchy. This time, and for the first time for me, i used a pole / brush stale in the roller handle for the third coat. I found this gave me more of an even pressure and was somewhat easier to handle than stretching to the ceiling.

Did the dining room yesterday and used the brush stale again - got away with one coat. Seems to make a big difference for me.

Roller on a pole like said above. You get 'tracks' with uneven pressure at arm's length on the top of ladders. Also, roll it 'both ways': once N-S, then immediately E-W on the same patch. Finish with a LIGHT pass N-S. Finally, are you using the correct, good quality roller for your paint? Can make a surprising difference. :oops:

Sam

+1 for good quality paint and as Sam has said finish with a light roll all in one direction. I have done a few ceilings recently and have used Dulux Supermatt. Usually a mist coat and then two coats undiluted to cover up the repairs or one coat if just covering up existing white paint. I was taught random strokes to start and finish all in the same direction but must people now seem to say just all in the same directions but I think it is better to use two different directions for putting on and laying off.

Another tip is to use good quality lighting (just as if you were plastering). Oh, and to wear a hat with a brim to protect the tops of your ears (to avoid telltale paint traces) DAMHIKT!

Cheers, W2S

As above the tracks are uneven pressure but I find it helps to roll out the edges of the roller at an angle on the tray as well.

Well thanks for all the advice guys. Did the ceiling again today using a pole and refilled the roller more often than before and am quite pleased with the finish.

Was definitely overspreading paint before, I always used to cover a larger area than the tin said it should but only just had enough today.

Never got around to buying a pole before, being a tool snob I always thought I needed a Purdy one but couldn't justify the £30, got a cheap one from Toolstation for £5 instead which did the job just fine.

There is one little patch which I'm not happy with but nobody else will notice it, on close inspection the ceiling has a slight rough texture there so it is just how the light reflects off it, should have given it a bit of a sand down.

Will go for the super matt next time or the Johnstones perfect matt. I am doing the panelled walls with Johnstones durable eggshell and am really pleased with that.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help and advice.

Back