Why buy from AXMINSTER TOOLS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always had ace service from Axminster. The only own brand machine I have is the extractor which has been going solidly for six years, usually all day with not a single hicup.

The only problem I have had was because Bosch have a strange policy about guarantees. Axminster bent over backwards to try and help but could do nothing about another company's policy.

I suspect that this is all about expectations. I bought the Bosch router because its top of the range and 'industrial' rated. I had every right to be upset when it failed within the warranty period. Most of the cheaper tools, including Axminster's own will be rated 'hobby' or 'light trade'.

I find that machines which are used regularly tend to last longer than those which get occasional use and are left to stand in a dusty environment most of the time - this is especially true of cheap tools, decent stuff has good sealed bearings and good dust protection.

Without wishing to imply anything at all, I also find that the approach that is taken over warranty claims, makes a huge difference to the response but then this is true of life in general of course. There will always be an element of 'personality' to contend with. :D

I have had some experiences,
I bought a then white axi biscuit jointer it was not fit for purpose end float was horrendous, couldn't gaurentee the slot size. Contacted them and I returned it and exchanged it for a Makita. No problem lesson learned, buy cheap grief follows. You can't blame them for trying to fill all market gaps.

However again sometime back, a bandsaw blade I had to return that was not straight i.e. the back edge was not in a line at the joint so the blade kept moving back and forth. I sent it back for refund and some guy called me and I described the problem and he started arguing that that could not be the case, it wasn't possible to make them wrong, after a short while I asked what the point of calling me was and ended the call. The thing is I have to take it that he was a plonker and not a true representative of the company and if I had bothered to push higher I suspect he may have been coached.
This being a classic example of someone thinking they knew better than me, and were out to prove it, just as MTR's experience getting the "can't be anything wrong with the blade" before asking how many years experience he had and whether he had problems with other blades and what was his method of sharpening etc.

I have had other good experiences and if there were problems they were resolved I would happily continue to buy from them until something caused me to think otherwise or the plonkers start to outweigh the sensible ones as they appear to in other unmentionable companies.

Alan

Hi everyone,
Two points here.
1. regarding Axminster Power Tools, I think some of their 'White' machinery is a bit cheap and cheerful and I have been disappointed with a few items. However as has been pointed out, if you want quality then you have to pay up. As I said in a previous entry, they are probably guilty of no more than trying to cater for all budgets. Perhaps they should consider cutting out the very cheap stuff and aiming for a slightly more affluent clientele, possibly combined with improved quality control. Their 10 x 6 planer / thicknesser I bought is really quite nice and was given a 'best buy' rating in a magazine I had a few years ago, but then it wasn't the cheapest in the catalogue. I think the best route is to go for their 'trade' range, or better, if you can afford it and avoid the real budget stuff.

2. regarding the purchase of a milling machine. I was offered a floor-standing one from a school, complete with vice, cutters and collet chucks at a very low price. I actually bought it to use as a woodworking overhead router, but it has been so useful that I've kept it as a metalworking machine. I now have an old Taylor Hobson engraving machine which has a sliding table, not as sturdy as that on the milling machine but still quite suitable for woodwork use. I shall attach a bracket to enable me to fit a portable router above the sliding table (which has XYZ movement), affix some clamps and a fence, and it will make a very nice overhead router / morticing system.

So woodworkers - if you get the chance to pick up some metalworking kit, it may well be useful even if you don't do metalwork.

Finally, when it comes to making stands and mobile bases etc for woodworking equipment, I think welding is just the job. You can get a basic stick welder really cheaply (especially second hand) and basic welding is not difficult to get the hang of. I wouldn't suggest you should buy one and immediately get to welding a trailer or steel joists to support your house extension, but with some practice you can certainly make some useful kit for your workshop. Just make sure you go online and read (then re-read) the safety warnings such as eye protection, UV skin protection, taking precautions against fire - especially in a wood dust laden (what - no dust extractor) workshop etc.

My hobby is woodworking, but I have made considerable use of metalwork to enhance my woodwork.

Hope this helps.

K

Back