Why am I making bananas with my tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing with the way I use the saw this evening and whilst I can improve the results, it is hit and miss. I'm looking for something much more consistant. As I am using the shooting board I may as well cut the mitres by hand if they are going to be inconsistant with a machine.

I really like the machine for cutting square, trenching etc, but maybe time to change to a table saw.

I've had problems before cutting a parallel 45 on the planer, I'd finder that it tapers out, possibly due to the low amount of contact with the tables during the first cuts because you've only got the small surface area of the edge for reference.
I ended up going with a deep first cut to establish the edge so it references on the outfeed table then reduce the cut depth as the width of angle grows.
Coincidentally I was also making a donkey ear shooting board!

Iv had this problem on several choppers over the years including higher end dewalt and bosch saws. i always find a nice sharp very fine blade does the trick and go easy with the first couple of cuts if you go in too deep it will put a slight twist on the blade an you will get your 45 and your 90 running off ever so slightly and dont weigh too much on the handle when cutting as this can also lead to twisting, also make sure your stock is square! as for the ply i find keeping decent preasure on the fence does the trick as when you let off a bit the ply doesnt have full surface contact with the blades which gives the banana affect.Good luck with the saw as i know it can be frustraiting.

I think that as the teeth are negative rake on a SCMS they are designed to be pushed into the work as they then push the work into the fence.

One of the guys at work reckons that you are supposed to push it through the work and then pull it back to get an accurate cut. Personally I push it through then raise it out of the cut. But hey, what do I know? I make bananas!! :)

Back