Who's the most miserable git you know?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most miserable man i know is probably the richest, high powered job earning a fortune, several properties rented out & numerous investments, Massive pension when he retires. Yet he is in a perpetual state of misery in case anyone else gets their hands on a pfenig of it all. Wont make a will "I dont want my wife to know what i have". I told him, "Theres no pockets in a shroud", but he thinks there must be.
Another guy who died a few years back, terminably miserable always pleading poverty & dressed like a tramp, trousers held up with baler twine, he died & the filthy old gits estate was over 8 million quid.
Must be a moral there somewhere.
I intend to spend the lot, timing it so it runs out just before you cark it is the hard bit!

Most miserable man i know is probably the richest, high powered job earning a fortune, several properties rented out & numerous investments, Massive pension when he retires. Yet he is in a perpetual state of misery in case anyone else gets their hands on a pfenig of it all. Wont make a will "I dont want my wife to know what i have". I told him, "Theres no pockets in a shroud", but he thinks there must be.
Another guy who died a few years back, terminably miserable always pleading poverty & dressed like a tramp, trousers held up with baler twine, he died & the filthy old gits estate was over 8 million quid.
I intend to spend the lot, timing it so it runs out just before you cark it is the hard bit!

I think there are a lot of people like them. The accumulation of wealth becomes obsessive, not the spending. A fear of being poor perhaps or just the thrill of the chase. Money doesn't make you happy but it's good to not have to worry about being evicted, or where the next meal is coming from.

There's also a psychological bridge to cross for some when switching from a lifetime of saving to then spending it in retirement, worrying if it will last.
Knowing your End Date in advance would definitely help with the spending plans.

mental illness, plain and simple. I've got a relative who is a lot more rosey, but is well into 8 figures (perhaps midway into them) and still shops at two grocery stores because he finds the price of a couple of items offensive at the main store where he does his shopping. But unlike the stories of people who live in large houses or on nice properties or have nice cars and otherwise won't spend or donate anything, he often wears clothes that he finds at flea markets and lives in a typical suburban two level house here (not even masonry, just siding). And to cap it off, he'd bought one with an inlaw suite in it (two rooms with a bathroom and separate potential quarters for his MIL), and when his wife died and the MIL changed plans and didn't stay, he decided to empty the main house and live in the inlaw suite.

No clue where his money will go, but I'm not a mooch, either, so it's none of my business. I find him quite enjoyable to be around because he's entirely confident in his unrealistic thoughts about monetary security. He still mows his own lawn and shoves his own snow late in life - paying someone to do it for no reason other than laziness is out of the question.

Not the most miserable but probably the most miserly in my knowledge was a woman in a small village in Norfolk.
She was buying a leg of lamb in the local butchers and was quibbling over the price. Can't you cut the bones out she said. The butcher did so and brought the meat down to what she was willing to pay. Then came the decider, just wrap the bones up she said and I'll take them home for the dog!
Posh accent, fur coat and mean as sin.

Last edited:
I lived near a tiny Hamlet in SW France.....
the only bakers for miles around....
for 16 years practicaly every day I brought my bread there......
The old lady(mother) sat in the shop glaring at people....she looked like the perverbial hag (but never saw a broomstick) hahaha...
I tried to talk to her as my French got better over the years.....all I got was a grunt...
so the last year all I did was grunt and point to what I wanted.....payback.....made no differenceto her attitude.....
Shame as her mid life daughter was lovely and their cream cakes and steak bake pies were superb.....

any other grumpies in life I avoid.....

PS. we love the company of younger people....we just had a couple of 20 year old's (work awayers) stay with us for a week.....
what a breath of fresh air.......sure lifts the spirits....

Back