Who's got the quietest compressor? (currently available)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finding some models advertised as 'Silent' are quite noisy

Gerry
Some compressors are nigh silent, but you’ll pay a very large premium for them and the air delivery will be restricted. If it’s for air brush or similar low usage then a Bambi is your go to. If you want large capacity, make sure you get a belt driven model.

I used to use a 24l direct drive and you could hear it five houses away And it rattled your brain every time it kicked in (which was often). In the new workshop I have put in a 100l 10bar twin cylinder belt driven Wolf compressor. I run It to three outlets and have two moisture traps with pressure gauges to each line. The strange bit is the 24l was rated at 95db, the 100l at 97db. Whilst running, you can stand next to the new one and have a conversation And it kicks in maybe once a day using the brad nailer and blow gun. Sand blaster takes a lot more, but it never runs out whilst running So it’s putting in as much as it’s using. With my doors to the workshop closed it is barely audible outside.

I think it’s the lower pitched tone that seems far less offensive to the ears, it’s more a thud than the clacky bang Of the 24l on each stroke. In the workshop it’s reading 60db Compressor is in the ante-room next door and 40db outside using a phone app to measure.

bambi make a silent comp...single or dual pump.....no idea on volume produced....
basically a fridge compressor....genuine ones are very expensive......
most air comp have the noise on the detail plate but they all tell lies....
I have a huge direct drive compressor, Atlas Copco one of the quietist large comprssors I have ever had.....
3phase and about 7HP....size of the chair will give comparrison....u can at least talk whilst is running....
IMG_1178.jpeg

The dB values provided on just about everything are total carp.

You need to know at least...
Power, pressure or intensity
What weighting (if relevant)
At what distance (if relevant)
Under what conditions

Without all that you may as well pluck a number, I have no idea why so many manufacturers list numbers for “how loud something is” when they know they’re meaningless

if I wanted a quiet compressor I’d buy a Bambi just on what I’ve seen of them

aidan

I have a Clarke shhh hardly used from new... really quiet like a fridge...but has a problem, the switch box I'm told.
..so now I have a Hyundai Super Silent 24L....tried it in the lounge, wouldn't annoy the neighbours!!
..so far happy with it.

Thanks for all the input.

Gerry

I have a Clarke shhh hardly used from new... really quiet like a fridge...but has a problem, the switch box I'm told.
..so now I have a Hyundai Super Silent 24L....tried it in the lounge, wouldn't annoy the neighbours!!
..so far happy with it.

Thanks for all the input.

Gerry

is it not fixable?

Yes absolutely!...second time it's happened, same fault..Machine Mart repaired it, new switch box, cost about £45ish.
...happy with new one, oil-less, bigger capacity super quiet and on wheels!!

Ones like this 441307D0-B770-4BAE-BEA9-0AE9FE3D1EC9.jpeg are quiet enough to hold a conversation beside when they are running. I was amazed the first time I heard one running.

Ones like this 8490983F-15B5-41ED-8B69-D74D5872CF43.png will power almost anything and keep up with quite high consumption devices while running but you can only hold a conversation if they are in a different room.

I recently bought a Hyundai 50L "Silent" compressor. It isnt silent when standing next to it but it is nice and quiet. I have it boxed in in a garden shed outside my garage workshop and I can only just hear it if I'm listening intently. The previous one was a cheap direct drive which rattled your fillings even when it was out in the shed. The Hyundai was bought from Amazon and came direct from Hyundai so it is a genuine one. It seems much better built than no name vesions for a few quid less.

Latest posts

Back