Who's been sleeping in my compost heap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
There are five cubs in all. Very cute and great fun to watch

DSC_0154.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

That's a very small part of the picture, blown up. Took it from the kitchen window. My neighbour stood on a chair the other side of the fence and took one of one of the cubs coming out of the hole in the compost heap, which was excellent.

It's scared the daylights out of Sparky, our cat :shock: I think he must have been sitting on the heap doing his business and out popped Mrs Fox :shock: :lol:

Paul

Hope it's not too anti-fox, my daughter has a fox family living under her garden shed?

Rod

That's a great picture. I do love foxes. We have many visit us but none have taken up residence as yet. We put out all our left-over and out of date meat for them and it's always gone by bedtime. The wife even buys dog food specially for them.

Roy

Paul Chapman":1n0taff0 said:
It's scared the daylights out of Sparky, our cat :shock:

Paul
Sparky's a 'big girls blouse' Paul :lol: :lol: ...mind you, he took a lump out of my finger last time I saw him! - Rob

paulm":a1mq00wu said:
:)

All we get in ours are rats !

Cheers, Paul

Foxes ARE just bigger pineapple rats IMHO.

Oh, look at the little foxey woxey - BANG!!

Si.

knappers":3kl4pu48 said:
Foxes ARE just bigger pineapple rats IMHO.

Oh, look at the little foxey woxey - BANG!!

I don't know why some people seem to see wildlife as a problem. We have lots of birds and animals in our garden and they all get on with life without causing us a problem.

Paul

Well Paul, Rats, Mice and Edible Dormice chew electrical cables and have caused fires. Grey Sqirrels, Magpies, Sparrow Hawks etc take song birds, Foxes take anything and they and Mr Brock dig bloody great holes in your gardens, and Moles dig lots of little ones, as for what is in your garden depends on the depredations of those listed, plus Cats, so with a reduced number you might have even more wildlife in your garden.
And my wife might be able to keep chickens.
In this village only one person keeps fowls, they are in a wooden building standing on raised concrete blocks to keep Foxy Woxy at bay.
Of those five cubs only one, if it is lucky, will see next spring as the majory will simply starve to death in the winter.
That's the reality I'm afraid.

Roy.

Digit":389b8ny4 said:
Well Paul, Rats, Mice and Edible Dormice chew electrical cables and have caused fires.

Well, that's very irresponsible of them, Roy. They obviously need to be sent on a Health & Safety refresher course.......

Paul

aint it funny the way some critters are tolerated or loved and others persecuted and hated?
I have chooks. I have lost chooks to foxes. If there was a fox in with the chooks it'd probably be shot. If its in the field next door then I'd happily watch it frollicking.
I feed the birds. I enjoy the song (unless its way too early!) but its also a great sight watching a bird of prey chasing its dinner about the sky. We've all got to eat.

Apart from magpies. I dont like magpies. Or jays. :)

Well, that's very irresponsible of them, Roy.

Yep! So like it or not we all have a level of acceptability, you might like Foxes in your garden, but do you want Rats?
We have a Rookery in our garden Paul, 5 yrs ago, one nest, now too many to count. In the late winter the noise is tremendous, they wake us in the mornings pecking the moss off the roofs, we cannot put washing out and cars and bikes are plastered, but we accept it.
But Foxes, Badgers, Cats, Grey Squirrels and Magpies are not welcome, thus we have Toads, Lizards, Grass Snakes, Bats, Rats, Mice, Voles, Moles, Shrews and I have recorded 31 species of Birds.
The vast majority of Fox cubs starve to death, for your 5 to survive 5 local foxes have to die, okay, that's nature, but I prefer to see the numbers reduced by hunting or lamping than starvation.
Many people simply work on the basis that starvation is OK 'cos they don't see it.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back