Who's a clever so-and-so then??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aragorn":fcwbm57i said:
Don't worry Tony - Not everyone is playing "Toy-with-Aragorn" day :roll: :wink:
Can't think why not - it's free to play... :wink: :lol:

Sorry, sorry. :oops: As to the joint; well does a joint belong to anyone? I dunno. But I know any explanation I tried would be very heavily based on the article, and without pics it'd be tricky too I think, so... Anyway, it's a book worth having, despite it's inordinately long title... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

devonwoody":20hy4u6o said:
If I was asked to make this joint I would buy a pot of glue and then cut a lot of separate pieces. I reckon thats the easy way.

Meh, too much trouble. Biscuit joint your MDF, then draw the fiddly stuff on afterwards. Who says joiners can't do "trompe l?oeil"?

Martyn

Funny you should suggest that. I was reminded on another forum just the other day of one of Lee Valley's past April Fool's; "Dovetape". Pre-printed dovetails on adhesive tape... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

that may of been an april fool but I have actually seen it with finger joints
in a furniture warehouse.

Laughed my socks off I did :lol:

Signal

I must have fallen out of the stupid tree when I was born, and hit every branch on the way down!. I've been looking at those pics and I still can't visualise the fitting together. Must be a mental block or summat - doh!

Gosh :shock: I am simply impressed, and I wish I was so brave & adventurous, maybe one day.............Soon

Bean

That's a double twisted dovetail. In 'Dovetails of the unexpected' published in The Woodworker, Volume 103, issue 2, sometime in the late '90's I described their execution. Expensive to produce as they're labour intensive, unforgiving and exacting.

Here's another example from an exhibition piece. Slainte.

cabinet72_closeup.jpg

Sgian,

Welcome to the forum,

I can't get my mind off this. I'm going to have to satisfy my curiosity and have a go at making them. Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the Woodworker you mentioned, or another source on making them?

cheers

Ike

Hi All,
I though I'd read up on this in David Charlesworth's first book.
He said he was taught it by a student who was shown it by a Japanese student. The slope of the dovetails must be the same angle as the slope of the pins, otherwise you can't put the joint together. The joint is then offered up at 45 degrees-thats the only way it will go together. He cut his on the bandsaw using angled wedges (cheater!)
Looks like a job for Chris's next project! :wink:
cheers
Philly :D

Chris
"looks like fun". Now a secret mitre double twisted dovetail would be fun - if not impossible I can't quite get me head around that.

Andy

--Ike and Neil, and the kind works regarding my website Neil.

If The Woodworker can't supply you with a back issue Ike I have an original manuscript including images of the marking out and execution on my hard drive.

I could email this to you if you'd like? It's about 1.3 MB so it would be quite a long download on a dial-up service. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":i6jv2o1j said:
I have an original manuscript including images of the marking out and execution on my hard drive.

I could email this to you if you'd like? It's about 1.3 MB so it would be quite a long download on a dial-up service.

Charlie, Alf, ... any chance to upload it in some common area ?

Back